Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No Power, Please Help

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by crawford, Apr 9, 2004.

1. crawford

crawford 1/2 ton status

The other day my truck lost a lot of power. Under load it will start sputtering and stuttering and under higher rpms while under load it will backfire out the the exhaust. It also has carbon fouled the plugs. I'm pretty sure ( not 100% ) that it's either getting too much gas or not enough spark. The list of things I've replaced or checked is growing daily and I'm almost out of options:

Spark Plugs - Replaced
    Spark Plug Wires - Replaced
    Cap & Rotor - Replaced
    Ignition Module - Replaced
    Coil - Tested, Only a year old
    Distributor - Inspected
    Fuel Pump - Replaced
    Fuel Filter - Replaced
    Carb - Disassembled and Cleaned
    Compression Check - 135 psi +-5 after 4 compression strokes, 105 psi +-5 on very first stroke
    Vacuum - Checked for leaks
    Timing - 8 degrees advanced, vacuum advance works

The motor is a 350. I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas or what I'm really hoping that has a spare carb, distributor or coil I can swap out to see if that is my problem. I can't spend anymore money replacing things that don't fix my problem.

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Did you check the pick-up coil?
    Bill

3. crawford

crawford 1/2 ton status

Yes, and according to the Haynes manual's testing procedures it was ok.

4. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

How is the play in the dist shaft?
    Bill

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you lost a lobe on the cam. Can you get ahold of some shaved valve covers? Then you can fire it up and watch your valves. If they aren't moving right, it's something internal. I had a camaro once that did that. It was on the freeway and when it happened, I almost didn't make it home. With a bad cam, you will still have good compression and maybe not have any issues until you put it under serious load. Check your valves with it running and see what they do. If they aren't working right, you'll know it when you see it.

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Daaamn... I didnt even think of that, but that sounds about right. I had a race car cam go flat slowly through the year and couldnt figure out WTF was going on till my sponsor ripped into the engine at the end of the season...

I would look into that too if I were you... How is the oil (look like its floating too much oil)? have a magnetic oil plug?

7. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

ditto, does it tap*? if so Id be fer checkin the cam out, and also possible burnt valve.it isnt spark for sure.
    check the carb for vacume leaks, especially the throttle shaft bushings, also check the intake for leaks, sounds like a great culprate for thse symptoms!

8. crawford

crawford 1/2 ton status

I just checked the timing belt and it needs to be replaced. It does tap a little bit too, so I guess I need to check the cam when I replace the timing. Timing and cam are definitely too big of jobs to do at the appartment here though. What's the going rate for jobs like this? I'd hate to have to take it in, but I might not have any other choice.

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well, if ya ask real nice I'm sure there's a couple peeps on here who can help ya out fer a 6 pack of their favorite beverage! Ya might have to throw in a pizza, but that should get someones attention! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. crawford

crawford 1/2 ton status

I got it fixed finally. The cam lost a lobe.