Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No Power Steering at Idle... better at higher RPMs...BELT IS TIGHT. Help!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Dec 31, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Ever since I replaced my header gaskets and the power steering box and went to crossover I don't have much power steering at idle or low RPMs. The belt seems pretty tight. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Either the pump is dying, my case now, or the headers are heating up the fluid so the pump performance drops.
    Are the hydraulic lines anywhere close to the headers or is your engine bay too hot when you open the hood?

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

....low fluid? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Did you bleed the system out?

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Heat is not it. Any easy way to test the pump?

5. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Fluid is fine, checked it tonight. I put the truck on stands tonight, took and cap off the flid and turned the wheels back and forth and bunch, still the same. I also have been drivig it for a while so I would think it would bleed its self out.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well mine is the same, the pump is going out.
    if you tear it down you will most probably find either lots of gum (burnt fluid) or the seals inside are worn.
    I will be rebuilding mine soon, meanwhile I am getting a good workout. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I agree, that is a pump issue. Replace it and forget it.

8. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Alright, I will look into replacing the pump. What are my options? Rebuild the one I have or what? An upgrade would be nice. (AGR is too expensive though) I may go to redneck ram sometime. Any ideas? Thanks!

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Dawson, do you remember my truck? Without the truck moving the steering sucks with the crossover. A hydro assist set up is the cure for my problem and might be the same for you.

10. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Its not that it doesn't work when it is sitting sitll, I expect that. It doesn't even work when I am like in parking lots and doing slow turns. Before I went to crossover it was fine.

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I don't think it's the pump. I am leaning toward the steering box or it still has an air pocket in it someplace. If you didn't change the pump then I would look at what was changed first.

12. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I have to gas my a litle to get it to help out turning, but up in RPM's it works fin...... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Crossover requires more power to get the wheels to turn. This has proven itself even on my rig. However, if you recently did a crossover conversion and now are feeling no power at all then you have a weak pump. If rpms give you enough power to turn it, then that only confirms it.

I would buy a new pump from an auto parts chain and then do some of the mods that WTO has on their technical section of their site to up the pressure a bit. Why? To compensate for the extra power needed to turn with the crossover setup. To prepare for Hydraulic Assist one day.

I have yet to get a new pump but mine isn't as bad as Dawsons. Also remember that when on the street (pavement) any pump will have to work harder as the tires tend to stick to the concrete, especially wide tires like 14.50 SSR's or 15.50 SX's. When I get on the trail there is enough give in the dirt/gravel that the steering is once again easier to turn.

14. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah, sounds like the pump to me. Mine was doing the same thing untill I changed it.

15. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

My truck is doing kind of the same thing, it acts like it has catches in it when you turn the sterring wheel. It will be Smooth(jerk)Smooth(jerk)Smooth(jerk) the whole time ya turn the well. No matter if its cold or hot. Any suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Ya'll should be proud i didn't post a new thread, i just hijacked this one