Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No power steering at start up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fireinthehole, Dec 15, 2003.

Usually when I start my Sub first thing in the morning and start to back out of the driveway, I cant turn the steering wheel without much effort, then all of the sudden its like the power steering kicks in and all is well. It usually only does it at first start up or after its been sitting a while. I am wondering if my steering gear is going out?

Thanks- Mat

1. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Great question.
    My Jimmy has just started doing that now. I am sure someone here knows what the problem is. I hope.

2. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

mine does the same thing. and it has a reman pump and new steering box on it.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

10 to 1 says its the PS pump.

My dad says its the valve sticking, I'm not sure if thats it or not. But mine did the same thing, and his does as well. Both had been run dry before (broken hoses) so I know they can't be in the best shape internally.

I'll be able to confirm it's the pump when I fire the new motor up, as it's got a new-to-the-truck PS pump that worked fine in the donor rig.

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

ME TOO ME TOO! My '89 Burb does the same thing but only when its cold outside. If you let the engine warm up some, it tends not to stick then with my truck. 10 minutes is about all I can afford in the morning before work! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope that helps!

-Dan

5. Dan,

Same for me. I let it warm up a few minutes and it seems fine. I guess its just one of those things.

Mat

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

chances are its air coming in past the seal somewhere and bleeding off once the pump starts running in the AM..

7. Ben

Ben Registered Member

My experience was the same thing until I swaped in a PS pump for a gasoline engine. Two times I installed NEW pumps, not reman and both times the pumps, (later we figured it out) were for diesel engines. They look exactly alike, same bolt patterns, etc. When it's cold, the valve sticks. Installed a pump for gas engines and not a problem since. Just a thought.

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem with mine. I have a new pump for a gas engine also (mine's a 350 so I hope it's gas). I get that lock up deal on colder mornings if it is below 55° or so (I know I am in AZ don't laugh). I never run into it in the summer. I thought I was alone.

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well there were 350 diesels...oldsmobile 5.7 diesels actually... anyways i still think its a cold weather air lock deal..

10. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

mine has done the same thing for the last 10 years, just learned to live with it because it only lasts for a few secounds or when I turn the wheel and then it goes away...

11. wa_jeeper

wa_jeeper Registered Member

My Blazer does the same thing right now that it's ungodly cold outside (still not used to this Chicago weather yet, I miss Texas warmth /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)... but as soon as the engine warms up... no more squeal or resistance... I'll just live with it...