Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No power steering, but brakes are fine?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ajbirken, Nov 20, 2005.

1. ajbirken

ajbirken Registered Member

This is an 1984 M1008 CUCV (K30)

Has a 6.2L diesel with 12v conversion (so only one belt to power steering pump) and hydroboost brakes.

I have no power steering but the brakes are fine. Seems like just manual steering or at least very little power assist. the slower I move the worse it is and you can forget about turning the wheel at a stand still.

no squealing or groaning noises that I can hear (but it is a diesel)

fluid level OK,

Belt seems OK but it it hard to tighten with a stupid 3 bolt configuration,

I am inclined to replace the pump first since it is cheaper, but was wondering if you guys thought this could be the steering box.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

If you rule out suspects, your steering box is the one to blame, or something leading to the box. I personally dont know much about the hydroboost. Sorry

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm not very familiar with the hydro boost but steering boxes usually don't go bad in the respect that they no longer give assist but also if the power steering pump went bad i can't see how you would have power brakes still without having power steering.

4. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My hydro-boost brakes don't really seem to be adversely affected by the power steering. I have a large leak in the boost part of the brake and when the pump runs out of fluid, about once a week, the brakes still work normal but the steering doesn't and the pump whines. I had a P/S pump shear off the shaft once on me and the pulley stayed in. Everything looked and felt fine except you couldn't steer, the pump had a little wooble until I grabbed the pulley and could pull it out of the pump. My 98 Sub had a similar problem but it was under warrenty so they just replaced the pump and the boost which of course fixed the problem. :D

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

could be.

The pressure hose to the steering box could be collapsed internally,restricting the flow to the steering box..perhaps the return side could do the same also--no fluid can get in,if it cant get out right?...the steel part of the hose could be crushed or crimped somewhere too..

I'd say the pump is working if the brakes feel ok--a crude test is to squeeze the pressure hose shut for a second with pliers with the motor runnig(be careful not to damage the hose,use a peice of heater hose under the jaws--you dont want hot P/S fliud gushing on you!)..if the pump stops turning and the belt squeals,its a good indication its putting out good pressure..a gauge is the right way to check pump output though..it could be a bad steering box too,or seized ball joints or tie rod ends.. :crazy:

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Does the truck have an accumulator or an electric motor on the brake master cylinder portion?

7. ajbirken

Thanks for the advice so far.

It sounds like from some of the responses that it may not require as much pressure to run the brakes as the steering.

I'll take a look at the MC and let you know.

Would I be able to turn easily while driving with seized ball joints?

8. 89GMCSuburban

If it has a motor, the power brakes will still work even if the pump has failed...that's why I ask.....we'll figure it out for ya! Let me know...

9. ajbirken

It appears to just have an accumulator. I see no wiring going to the MC/boost area.

10. 89GMCSuburban

Does it get easier to turn if you rev up the motor?

11. ajbirken

Not noticeably, but it does get harder when the brakes are applied.

12. ajbirken

Idiot update.

I tightened the hell out of the belts an now have PS again.

It's weird their was no obvious slippage or sqealing and the belt deflected about 1/2" or so.

Thanks for all of your help.

Apparently the steering takes a lot more ooomph than the brakes.