Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No Power Steering Reservoir

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prossett, Oct 23, 2005.

1. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Well, just looking over my engine (10-day old vehicle) and there seems to be no power steering reservoir...

There is a line that run off the steering block into the engine and back - does anyone know if it came like this from the factory?

It runs off motor oil?

I need to get my SIG straightened out - 1983 GMC Jimmy, V8, prolly a 305.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Can you post a pic?

3. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Sure, but tomorrow as it's night now over here.

Basically, there's the steering box where it's supposed to be down by the frame, and then a metal line in a rubber sleeve is directed into the engine block, just below the A/C compressor (which is where my Haynes manual says the steering fluid reservoir should be), and then another steel line in rubber returns to the steering box. The metal lines screw into the steering box and into the engine block. There are no other hoses connected to the steering box, and there sure isn't any reservoir anywhere. Or maybe it's tucked into the engine so tight I can't see it - maybe close to the steering pump? Perhaps the metal lines connect straight to the power steering pump?

It's clear the A/C system has been replaced somewhat recently, possibly to make use of the newer enviro-friendly gas, and the A/C compressor sits atop a large metal bracket on the top left of the engine. I wonder if to fit it some creative mechanic decided to remove the steering fluid reservoir...

The metal lines connecting the steering box with the engine block also appear to be new-ish.

The power steering works fine, no troubles there.

Tomorrow I'll take photos and check if it's behind and under the A/C compressor, I mean, I can't see how it would work otherwise.

You'll forgive me for talking out loud here, but I live on the edge of a friggin' desert in the Middle East and it sure looks like I own the only K5 for a few hundred miles around, maybe thousands?

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I think that you are looking at it wrong. The PS lines should be going into the back of the PS pump. It is very close to the engine so it can look like they are not there. Try looking from the bottom.

I have been in Dubai a few times. Way too hot for me during the summer. If you need i can take a few pics of my PS setup and post them up for you.

5. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

I reckon you're right - it makes no sense otherwise. I'll have a good look tomorrow from underneath. I'll bet the A/C compressor is squashed against the reservoir and prolly needs removing to check/refill!

Dubai's a pretty amazing city: it's recently been growing like a mushroom, all modern and flashy and elite-like. I'm about 150 clicks to the interior, where the red sands start into the Empty Quarter and the desert bedouin sing at night.

What a racket! :haha:

6. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Some gm motors had the filler cap for the resivor tucked back behind the belts on the vbelt systems. Look below the ac compresor pully on the left side of it. Probaly between the waterpump and ac brackets.

7. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Gentlemen: I'm happy to report that yes indeed there is a power steering reservoir right where you said it would be, squeezed in between the belts. :bow: There's even power steering fluid in it - what more can a guy ask for?

Thanks.