Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no power til 2,500?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ilikemud, Jul 5, 2004.

1. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

just put a new carb on my 78 blazer. motor is a 350 out of an 89 blazer. carb is a 78 rochester q-jet reman. i have no kick down on the 350 trans but even manually shifting i have no power til 2500 rpms, but once u hit that mark you get thrown back into the seat... any help? please!!!

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Does it feel like a bog, or just lazy until that rpm ? Are you running different gears ? Did you change the cam in 89 motor , which was injected ? Depending on gears and weight of the truck it should move itself from a dead stop, but it ISNT going to be like a Camaro by no means . Try a basic tune up , and then start adjusting the carb and timing a little at a time . Usually it just needs a little more fuel for the transition , try the other hole or bending the rod on accelerator pump arm. The other thing , and I don't recommend it if you are green at it , is the APT ( adjustable part throttle ) can be adjusted ( on older non modded carbs , entails removing carb top ) to change how far/fast the rods can go down into the jets /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

3.73 gears with 36 inch tires, or 31 inch tires no real difference... so i dont think it is a gearing issue. stock 89 cam, was tbi now carburated... just did tune up and high flow oil pump... i dont want it to go like a muscle car, but i want it to get out of its own way... as far as fuel, when it is under 2500 rpms and you floor it, she backfires when the secondaries open, and like i said over 2500 rpms it will throw u back in the seat...

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Backfiring will seem like timing to me . Double check that before adjusting carb /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif