Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No power to my amps

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Capman2k, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

98 Grand Cherokee... I installed an LOC, correctly according to the instructions... installed all the wires for my amp... plugged the amp in, no power... I've tried about everything I can think of... checked all the fuses... tried hooking up the other amp I have... checked the LOC wiring about 50 times... I don't know what the deal is... maybe someone here has an idea??

The first amp has a blue light on the top... It's not the power light, just an accessory light... That was on for a minute after I messed with some wires, then I started messing more to get the real power light to come on, and now I can't get the blue light on again...

ahhh...

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Check ground, power, remote turn on, fuses.

Normal install or some wierd hack job?

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I'm no pro, but I stay as far away from hack jobs as possible... Got the power from the pos. terminal of the battery to the batt connection on the amp... Have the ground wire bolted down and screwed to the amp.... the remote...... Well, that's giving me issues... I'm thinking now that that may be my problem... But it's figuring out what the hell wire to connect it to that I can't get... I'll keep playing with it I suppose.... Damn Jeeps

4. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

Your remote wire needs to be hooked up to either the antenna lead coming off the head unit, or a switch with a power source going to it. If you just want to confirm that the remote switch is the actual problem, jumper a wire from your power lead of the amp to the remote connection and the amp should turn on. If it does, the remote wire is definitely your problem, if not check the ground connection again. There can't be any paint under the connection. It has to be connected to solid metal. Good luck....

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Trikstark5, You are a genious.... I didn't even think about the ground being on bare metal, just stuck it to whatever metal piece I could find with a hole I wouldn't have to drill...... went out and sanded it down, put it back on, and now I have power...

Now I just need to warm up again... It's getting hella cold outside.... once I do that, I'll just hook my 1600 Watt amp back up, put everything away and get some sleep... it's 3 in the morning, way past my bedtime, and I've been working on this project that I projected to take about 1.5-2 hours for the last 4 hours.......... damn if I had that ground right the first time, I would've been done 3 hours ago :(

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Spoke too soon about being done........ I hooked up the amp, turned on the engine, and no music.... just bass.... one continuous horribly loud bass tone.............. ?????

7. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Actually, I spoke too soon about speaking too soon... I forgot I messed with a couple switches trying to make it work.... switched them back to where they were, and everything is perrrrfect :)

8. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

Congrads on getting your amps powered up... Glad to help...

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I think you need to go to sleep:rotfl:

10. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I think so too...