Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No power to steering column?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Aug 29, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My steering column is not working at all. Where does it get its power from? At first I thought it was the ignition switch, but when I pulled both plugs out of it and poked them with my test light, NONE of them had any power. I replaced the switch anyway, turned it on, and still nothing. I don't think my steering column is getting any power at all.

This all started because I left my K10's key on for the last 6 days. The battery was completely dead obviously. I have even installed a different battery and tried jumping the starter solenoid and nothing has changed. The engine cranks so the battery must be good, the head lights work and are bright, but no wipers or ignition switch work at all. There isn't even any power to the distributor with the key on.

The ignition switch is installed correctly.

I'm out of ideas, anyone?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ive checked both large wires down by the starter, nothing wrong there either. Power in and out of the fusable links. I've even got power going into the cab at the connection through a 10 gauge or so red wire, but from there, the cab is dead.

Headlights work, wipers don't, no column.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Off chance, pull the 10mm(?) bolt holding the firewall connectors to the back of the fuse panel, pull it off, and replace.

Had a GM car (same setup) that wouldn't start. Stupid bad connection at the fuse panel, and it hadn't been touched from the time it worked, to when it didn't.

Easy to try anyways!

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't have another bolt, but the problem has got to be here somewhere. I have current all the way to that connector and nothing beyond that. I tried electrical cleaner, removing and tightening the connection.

GRrrrrr...doesn't run for whole year, runs for 4 days like a champ, and no some cheesy electrical issue is gonna plague me?

Serves me right for having not fixed the mess of wires down there by the fuse panel messed up by the previous owner. The entire harness that runs to the steering column is intact though.

Any more ideas? I'm gonna try to get a bolt tomorrow if possible. I'm so pissed. I wanted to fix my broken axle u joint today.

I suppose I could hotwire it, but that'd be majorly hillbilly, not to mention the lack of wipers would really suck.

Edited because apparentely the F word is now allowed on the forums. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Amazing what daylight can do. I found a wire that has a fusable link hanging from the firewall. The fusable link is good, but the wire was burned between that and where it hooks to the firewall!

Check yours out, the insulation is all messed up on mine. That thing will cut ALL power to your fusebox!