Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No power to tailgate WTF?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rockink5, Dec 5, 2003.

1. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

My back window has not worked off the key for years. Now I have the itch to fix it. I bought a brand new key switch from 4X4High thinking that was the problem. Well it wasn't.

Checked for power at the tailgate(orange wire) and it is dead. I jumped directly from the battery to the tailgate and the window works with the key. So the wiring in the tailgate is good. Now is there a fuse or link somewhere between the fuse box and the tailgate. I see no fuse in the box for it and no others are bad.

Does anyone know or have a schematic that shows if there is a fuse or link in the orange wire, and if so where is it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You should find a circuit breaker under the dash near the brake pedal mount. At least that's where it is at in a suburban that I pulled the wiring from once.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My wife managed to kick the fuse box on her 79 and killed the power windows. Here is what I found.

Look at your fuse box. The power windows plug into the accessory plugs above the fuses. (what my wife managed to kick). They draw a lot of juice so they should be thick.
    It might be plugged into the wrong terminal as well. Turn the ig on and see if the key will raise and lower the window.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Some have the circuit break/relay near the fuse box, some have them in the fuse box, on my 75, its bolted to the firewall right behind the booster.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well, at least you don't have the window will work going one way and don't the other from the key switch............ /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Maybe this well give you some notes. When mine quit working period, I had removed the latches and those little spacer things to clean everything up. When I put them back on, I lost one of the spacers and the window quit working. I had replaced the key switch during this time.

I finally got the safety switch on the tailgate bypassed and the key switch started working, but it would only go one way.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Been awhile since I dealt with rear PW wiring (thankfully), but IIRC, there is no relay or anything on that power wire your vintage of truck.

Two connectors, one at the tailgate/body junction, and one up on the engine side of the firewall.

I believe as someone mentioned, the wire for it will be plugged into an "accessory" terminal on the fuse panel. Some or all of these terminals are protected with a 30A circuit breaker that is on the fuse panel itself, at least on the '86's, I believe your '85 has the "new style" panel like the 86's+ as well. Should be a thick orange wire. I'd check for power at the firewall connector first, if you have one, to determine if the wire is cut along the body, as that should be pretty easy to do, IF there is a connector. Of course, if you can find the connector on the fuse panel, you can test continuity or voltage right there.