Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no power.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by riz, Jul 10, 2000.

1. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Hey guys,

As you all know, I just finished installing a new 350 under the hood but now I have a problem...... It idles great but when I go to drive it there is no power. I take off from a dead stop and then when it should be hitting the second gear shift point, it kind of stalls and feels like it doesn't want to kick in at all. It just dogs. The motor should be snapping my neck at this point but it seems like it doesn't want to shift right. Is there something in the tranny linkage or something ? I'm not sure what it is. I haven't had much time the last couple of weeks due to working 60 hour weeks at my job. I'd appreciate any help...This is the only thing keeping me from driving it again and it's eating at me since I can't wait to see what my new mouse will do.

L8r,

.Riz.

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Does it feel like carb-related problem? Could it be the power piston (if it's a q-jet)?

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

It's an Edelbrock carb. It doesn't feel like it's the carb. More like the tranny. This thing should be flying, but it just bogs down like it isn't hitting the shift points or something. It's got me pretty stumped.
    L8r,

.Riz.

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

If you have an 700r4 make sure the tv cable is properly adjusted, this controls shift points.

5. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

definately check the TV cable! I went through the truck shifting way to soon so the engine was revving way to low and then stalling. On a camaro I built, I had the cable adjusted to far the other way, and she would shift way to high. So check it out and take your time

6. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I agree with the other guys. I'd check the cable and make sure you had it adjusted right. Sounds to me like it might be out of adjustment.

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I have a 350 tranny. What is this tv cable ? How exactly does it get adjusted and where ?

Thanx,

.Riz.

8. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    TV cable is also called kickdown cable. It is supposed to be hooked on the carb linkage and then will run toward the back of the engine and down to the tranny. This cable makes the tranny downshift. ie passing gear. it also when adjusted properly changes the amount of pressure in the tranny. If not hooked up or adjusted wrong will burn up tranny. Just spent $1300.00 partly because I didnt think it did anything but control passing gear. STUPID STUPID. Good luck.

9. bart

bart Registered Member

check your vacuum modulator if it's a TH350 trans should have full manifold vac....also, do you have your vacuum advance properly connected to the carb?

10. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I agree the TV cable on a 700R4 makes or breaks the tranny. The TH350 is a little different. I believe it uses it to downshift to a passing gear. If it's a new motor and I assume it didn't do this before I'd check the motor b/c it was just changed. Check timing and check to make sure all your vacuum lines are hooked up properly.

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........