Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no power?!?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JunkYardCrawler, May 14, 2002.

1. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

hey guys. its been a while but i''ve been busy. any ways i have a loss of power in junkie. i have an HEI and a q-jet. and i have been working on trying to get my power back and i am getting frustrated. heres whats going on. its seems to be hesitating on acceleration and there is no power. every once in a while it backfires under acceleration. i am getting ready to check for vacume leaks and to adjust the timeing a little in both directions to see if that helps. if i could get any input form you guys that would be great. thanx

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

how long has it been since you changed the fuel filter ? Cap, rotor, plugs, plugwires ?
    Sounds like you need a good tune up.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

If that doesn't work, check the fuel pump. Mine did that when it went out. It was fine as long as I didn't have my foot in it or was pulling a hill. Also, it was fine until the gas in the carb bowl ran out. I had the carb rebuilt and did a major tune up and the problem as still there. It was the stinkin' fuel pump the whole time.

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Here if ya want to try messing with some tuning on the hei this page talks alot about it or It could be the accelerator pump (for the hesitation)....mike

http://www.73-87.com/garage/hei.htm

5. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I agree with all that has been said, how many miles are on your motor ? If you try all of the these things and they don't help you might have a wore out cam. My friend's truck started gradually doing alot of the same things you described (lack of power, backfiring, etc.) and it ended up being a wore out camshaft.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've heard of a timing chain streached, or slipped a tooth doing what you're describing. Check the carb and ignition first.

7. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

When did the loss of power start, instantly or did it wear into the sluggish state? your lucky if it is the fuel pump normally when this goes, you will develop fuel smelling oil or leaks from the pump. this can be hard to spot as gasoline evaporates quickly. any smoke out of the exhaust? if lots of black smoke, then use a good $7-$10 fuel system cleaner (get some of that carbon out of there) a build up of carbon will actually raise the baseline compression of a motor and if you don't run premium, this could cause simular symptoms to what you are having. just some food for thaught.

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Same w/ me, but I am pretty sure(80%+) that my carb is the culprit, I just need the time/money to rebuild it.

John

9. GMMANIAC

GMMANIAC Registered Member

I'd check for timing chain stretch. Depending one the year of your engine and if your timing chain has ever been replaced, I've seen problems with the cam gear. GM for some reason used nylon on the cam gear and after time it wears out and sometimes strips the teeth. Another culprit could be your carb. If you do rebuild it and you have the factory quadrajet make sure you seal the well plugs at the bottom of the bowl.

10. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

i've rebuilt the carb at least 5 times. the plugs are sealed up in the q-jet. i've gotten new sparkpluge wires for it and new spark pluges. the only smoke it the every once in a while poof of white on the start up. its all started sundenly. soon as i finish swapping the tranny in my other truck i'm going top put a diff carb on it. (one off a truck i know was running some what decent.)