Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No PS, need suggestions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadBob, Oct 24, 2005.

1. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

Here's the situation guys:
    Swapped a '85 454 from a suburban into my 82 K/20 (had a 383, originally a diesel), and somehow in the process the power steering bracket and pump got lost/stolen. The truck is still set up for hydroboost, which I'd like to keep if I can. The problem there are NO big blocks around here to go steal a bracket off of, and it's a little hard to drive with no PS or brakes.

The way I see it, I can:
    A: Attempt to deal with the GM parts counter monkeys and see if you can still get the bracket from GM

B: Get a serpentine conversion kit from March and just replace the whole wonky setup-problem, they say it only fits the older style pumps, not the newer metric ones.

C: Give up and convert the thing to vaccum assist.

Anyone know if the original PS bracket is still available? Any reason in particular that the metric pump won't work with the serpentine conversion kit? Any other options?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd say a dealer...

Try a GM dealer--I'd think an 85 bracket should be available..I bought one for a 1973 454 in 1995 with no trouble,and it only cost 15 bucks..I know some parts only are carried for 10 years,then get "discontinued"..but there might be a dusty one sitting at a warehouse somewhere if thats the case..I'd think they would still have that bracket available..

If that fails,there must be someplace you can get one,like hemmings motor news or other "old car" parts sources..I THINK the only difference between a hydroboost pump and the gas motors is the resiviour is different--it has places for the return hoses to go on it.. :crazy:

3. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

4. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

These are still available from GM, If you have a decent local dealer.... If not the prices below are from GMpartsdirect.com, but they make up for it with shipping.

GM part #
    14015391 $6.83
    3967422 $12.21