Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No Rear brakes - help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kerwinq, Aug 29, 2004.

1. kerwinq

kerwinq Registered Member

I just put new shoes on, had the drums turned and put new wheel cylinders on the 75. The problem is I still don't have any brakes in the rear, I bleed the system but still only get fluid to barely come out of the bleeders. I have replaced the master 4 times because they keep leaking. I bleed the system once but did not get what I wanted so I blew out the line for the rear from the master back, then tried bleeding again. I am certain that I got all the air out but am still able to turn the wheel with the brake pedal pressed all the way down, the e-brake works much better now but...
    Does this sound like a master cylinder issue or is there something else that I am missing?

Thanks, Kerwin

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

If your only getting some fluid to come out, you may have a line that is clogged up or a pinched line. Does the pedal go straight to the floor? Could be leak or vacuum issue.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

You bench bled the master right?

What solved my problem was building a homemade power bleeder. Went to True Value and got a 1 gallon garden sprayer. To the autoparts place to get some cork gasket material and brake fluid. Then cut out a piece of 1/4" plate alittle bigger than the top of the master. cut a hole in the plate centered above the rear resivoir. Welded an air line fitting in the hole. Glued on some gasket material to the bottom of the plate. Cut the sprayer nozzle off the hose on the bottle. Clamped the hose to the fitting on the plate. Fill sprayer with brake fluid. Clamp the plate to the top of the master with the fitting/hose over the rear resivoir. The Vise Grip "Quick Grip" clamps work best cause of the odd shape of the master. open the bleeder screws and pump the handle on the bottle till bubbless fluid comes from the bleeders. Close bleeders. Unclamp plate from master and flip ot around so fitting/hose is over the front resivoir. Repeat. I hade my 1 ton front, 14b rear discs bled in like 5 minutes. One of the best tools I've made yet. Just a bit over $20 into it. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif