Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No rear brakes!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Nov 3, 2000.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I got the disks on my 14 bolt, but now I have no rear disks and the pedal is very soft. I have the rear wheels off now, and I let it idle in 1st. I pushed the pedal all the way, and the hub didnt stop turning until I let off the clutch. Is my master cylinder screwed up? Its not even 2 years old, and it worked fine before the swap. Someone help!! </font color=blue>

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Chances are that you didn't get all the air out of the Eldo calipers. To bleed these, the bleader valve has to be pointing up. I had to take mine and rotate them on the rotor so the valve pointed up. Also be sure you rotated the e-brake arm to adjust them properly. It took several attempts at bleeding the brakes before mine started to feel normal. I wasted 2 32 oz bottles of brake fluid in the process. Did you swap the left and right caliper?

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

3. Shawn

After looking at a fews pics, it looks like you're not running the Eldo calipers but your bleeder valves are pointing down. Bleed them again with the valves pointing up.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>They are Eldo calipers and swapped the left and right calipers. I took them off to bleed them (clamped the piston so it would stay in) and no air comes out when I try to bleed them. How do I rotate the arm?</font color=blue>

5. Shawn

Ok. Do you have the p-brake arm installed? If so, The p-brake arm can be rotated with a set of vicegrips. Just clamp at the end of the arm and rotate it (cycle it) a couple times. This acts like a ratchet and forces the piston to be closer to the rotor. The eldo calipers are not self adjusting like your front calipers so this must be done. If that doesn't work, re-bleed the brakes again but this time, remove the caliper bolts and rotate the caliper on the rotor so the valves face up. I used a long screwdriver and put it though the top caliper hole and rotor vents to hold it place.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

6. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

See now I dont see this as a problem... [​IMG]Imagine the brake torques you could do. [​IMG] hehe you would have the fronts holding you there all day and not even ruining the back brakes. You should at least get some pics of that before you fix it... [​IMG]

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I think Depdog had this same problem when he swapped to rear discs. I don't recall what fixed his; maybe he can help out when he sees this...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!