Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No right turn?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jfortner, Jul 20, 2004.

1. jfortner

jfortner Registered Member

OK, any one have this issue before?

1971 K5, only had it about 50 miles and it was parked for three years before I got it, still 100% stock supension. Anyways I left work and tried to make a right turn and could only turn about 5 degrees right but left was not an issue. I was alone so I tried to see what was binding but couldn't see anything. So I start the trip home going in circles around the block so I only have to make left turns. About 3/4 the way home I hit a bump and have steering to the right back. Get home and go to back in, no steering to the right any more again. I can't see anything binding directly, but I can't turn and watch at the same time.

Well anyone else run into this?

Thanks John

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hit a bump and it fixed it for a while? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif
    Check you steering stablizer and make sure thats not interfering with your turning...
    I was thinking your draglink is out of adjustment but you say a big bump in the road made it so you could make right turns again? I'd suspect the steering box is /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif
    You got power steering? Got fluid?

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I bet your u-bolts are loose and the spring center pin on the driver side is sheared. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would get a helper and jack the front end up and watch the steering while someone turns back and forth. Does sound like your front axle is moving /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif or the gearbox has busted guts??? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

5. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Keep it off the road until you get it figured out - could be very dangerous. Good luck.

6. jfortner

jfortner Registered Member

I parked it when I got it home. I need to clear the Fiat out of the garage again so I can check it out. Thanks for the hints I will check those things and post back what the issue was. Probably be a couple weeks though.

Thanks John