Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No shocks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Dec 27, 2000.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Has anyone run slow speed trails without their shocks attached? When I went to the 14 bolt in the rear, the shock hangers are way lower than they were on the 10 bolt, so my shocks are almost extended all the way with hardly any droop. Beacuse I don't have access to a welder before this weekend, I want to know what you guys think or have heard about running slow speed trails without shocks. I read in one of the big 4x4 mags that it was no problem, just want to know what you guys think. Basically I want to leave them on for the road trip up to Big Bear, then take them off when I get there, so that I can get articulation out on the trail. If they don't come off, I will have very little movement back there.

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Just take it slow and stay off the highway.

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I had a REALLY rough ride in my 76. Every time I went over a speed bump it would hop all over the place, very rough. I was under the truck one day and noticed that the shock was off in the front and the bolt was gone. Not sure how it happened, but I got a new bolt and put the shock back on - instantly a much better ride.
    That, my friend, is with only 1 shock off. I'd recommend keeping them,
    -- Mike

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would fix this as soon as you can but you will be ok if you take them off before you go on the trail

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

are you plannign on buying longer shock mounts or shocks?

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Actually a little of both...I plan on getting the new, longer shocks plus raising up the shock mounts on the axle to get out of the way of unfriendly rocks. That way I still have plenty of shock extension length. This will only be temporary, and only off road going very slowly over rocky terrain. I drove it home a long time ago with no shocks after lifting it, it wasn't all that bad, just tended to keep bouncing!!

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

After i put my lift on, I was running no shocks at all for about a week. The ride wasn't nearly as bad as i expected, but it bounced a lot over small bumps, and it was almost as bad as a J**p[​IMG]

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You will be fine on the trail... I know some people that haven't used shocks on the rear in years!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>