Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no spark|? help!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Jan 31, 2004.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well, now that i most likly missed a 7 hour work shift im a little pissed of!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif truck wont start, has tons fo fuel, im begening to think that my problems ive been having are not carb related but spark related. i dont think im getting sprak, it fired up once this mourning, but stalled so i tryed to start it again and cant get a ziltch out of it. nothin. just cranks and cranks. what should i look for? pull plug? distributer?? thanx guys!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

anyone??

3. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

u have to check for sparkif u have vno spark. also check and make sure the power wire is plugged into the distributer.then check the cap and rotor if ok it may need a module u can have them tested at a autpo parts store .

Kevin

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

could be one of these:
    Dist module
    pick up coil
    coil
    You can pull the dist module and take it to a parts store. most will check it for you.
    If the mod is OK then it may be one of the other 2
    i read your other posts RE: your problem and it sounds like ignition to me not fuel

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

To check spark:
    Pull a plug and stick it in the plug wire. Hold it near a metal object(ie frame) and have someone bump the engine over. If you see a arch, then your getting spark and vice versa. Don't touch the plug just hold onto the wire and you won't be shocked... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

haha..yea ive done that enough /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif...thanx ill go do that, no one around right now though..damn..but yea...i defently think this is ignition related now, and that time at school it would not do nothing at all..not even crank...makes a lot more sence..i checked the choke (cause i put a manual choke on it) to make sure it was wokrin right and it works fine so, yea...but damn it i really needed those 7 hours!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well i pulled the cap, and the roter was wigglin all over the place, guess the screws came loose i tightend it back down, tryed it again but still nothing..humm, just have to wait for dad or someone ot get hear so i can test it for spark, sucks, i really wish that s-10 was registerd right now!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

is there anything i can visably look for, like worn, damage or anything like that on the distributer? i got the cap, coil, roter and all but im not sure if u can tell just be looking at it..?cant go have the moduale tested as i have no ride anywere..so best i can do for now is check things

9. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Did the button in the cap or the cap itself get torn up with the rotor loose? Do you have power to the coil? You can check for spark with out a helper, get a old spark plug and a un do your longest wire (probaly number 2) now take it and plug it into the old plug and set the plug on any thing metal that you can peek around and see while cranking, I would sugest the wiper arms.

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmm good idea ill go do that...no the button looked fine on the cap...everything looked fine..i just put another moduale in it from another one that im pretty sure is new and nothing changed..so ill go try that..

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i set it on the hood hinges...no spraky.. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ...least i know the problem

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

DOes the cap look burned around the coil at all?

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

nope it looked fine to me... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif maybe ill swap on another coil here just for the hell of it..

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

do parts stores check coils?

15. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

you COULD check coil, stick a sparkplug in end of the coil wire see if it arcs. If it arcs, but no arc at end of plug wires could be same prob i just fixed on mine today, ignition module was bad.

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im ganna switch all the stuff from my dads truck tomorrow on it and see what it does. im tellin u i hate this damn truck..every week its something..and i mean that literally.. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Do you have 12v to the coil? thats the first thing you need to establish. Do you have a good ground from the distrubutor. Does your rotor spin when you crank the motor. What year is the truck?

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

dunno..ive just been swaping parts lol..its an 86..

wears the ground for the dis. is that the ground on the one coil bolt there?

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Make sure the terminals on the cap didn't get bent out of the way either. BTDT. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They will loosen up too, make sure they are tight.

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how the hell do u get the pickup coil out!?