Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NO SPARK, NO FUEL

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Frank, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Frank

Frank Registered Member

I have an 87 Blazer. 5.0 litre.

What controls the Fuel to the TBI and Spark to the Plugs.
    Is there a Sensor that controls these functions?

I have replaced the ECM, Rotor, Coil, Cap.

I also replaced the PROM chip on the ECU.

I am still not getting Fuel out of the TBI or Spark to the Plugs.
    i'd appreciate any help, thanks !

2. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

That's what you get for putting a 5.0 in a Blazer.

Sorry, I really don't know the answer to your question though

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I had the same problem in My 96 this last winter. It turned out to be the ECBM fuse. Sometimes it's the little things that will make You go crazy.

4. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Well....a 5.0 is also known as a 305 (chevy version to the 302) but more common a Ford term. Just say 305 in the future to avoid the negative comments.

I am assuming you have TBI, therefore the fuel pump is in the gas tank.

the other day, someone was havin the same problems, so read thru some posts for the last 2-4 days...

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Have you replaced the distributor module? Could also be the magnetic pick up coil. If the ECM sees no signal coming from the dist it wont let the injectors work.

6. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

Same problem on my 89'....replaced module and pick up coil. Now trying to get it back together, but looks like the safe bet.

7. Frank

Frank Registered Member

where is the magnetic pick up coil located at ?

8. s373n_rcr

Get cylinder 1 to TDC on compression stroke. Scribe or paint rotor direction on cap and manifold or reference it some way. after this you're going to have to yank the electrical connections at the module and pull the whole distributor/shaft/gear etc...it's clamped down with a 9/16 bolt. Pull the assembly and knock out the roll pin with a hammer and punch at the bottom of the shaft. When pin's out pull the gear and slide the shaft out of the top of the assembly. At this point you're going to come across a square stamped steel piece that holds down the round retainer type thing over the pick-up coil. I ended up using a screwdriver to pry it off trying to do as little damage as possible as finding a snap-ring or something similar proved to be difficult. Once this is off, pull the retainer thingy off, unplug the pick-up coil at the module and throw in the new one. I had to bend and play with that stamped hold down piece to get it back to doing it's job of holding down the retainer thingy, but it worked so it's still there. Make or buy a new distributor gasket and install it with the distributor making sure that the rotor is close to no.1 contact in dist. cap...from here adjust your timing and hopefully all is good. I had to adjust my timing by ear and feel as I don't have a timing light, but all seems well enough until I get a light....Hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif......I am also assuming HEI?

9. s373n_rcr

oh yeah, and when you take it all apart and clean it all up make sure you put some dielectric grease or vaseline on the magnetic shield located between the module and the cap mounting plate and all the other connections you come across. Give the dist shaft a good cleaning with gas/WD40 and emery cloth too...Be sure to check the small magnets on the large diameter round thing at the top of the shaft for cracks etc....if crack, replace the shaft and "magnetic wheel" which is a dealer only part I believe.....

Cheers.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you replaced the distributor module? Could also be the magnetic pick up coil. If the ECM sees no signal coming from the dist it wont let the injectors work.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'd almost put money on this! seen it many times. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem this weekend on the trail after a hard roll in the buggy.

We had a running truck eith all the same parts on it so we were switching parts back and forth and never found out what it was that caused the no spark condition. It finnaly had spark after unplugging and replugging multiple items.
    Someone later told me they had a simuliar prob. and it was the throttle position sensor.

Anybody have any other ideas.

By the way I have a howel stand alone system so I only have a ignition hot lead that was proven to be good, a battery hot lead that was proven to be good, and a round that was proven good. All devices had power to them. All devices switched worked and ran in the other truck.

Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif