Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no spark!WTF?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Feb 2, 2007.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

so my truck was running up until I pulled the distributor to turn it 180*.now that it's at TDC,it won't start.there's power to the wires that plug into the dist.,but it's not getting to the plugs.any ideas?coil pack,rotor,...?thanks

2. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

Why would you turn the dist 180?

3. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

because it was firing on the exhaust side and backfiring like a bitch.

4. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

are you sure your wires were in the right order?

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

motor? year?

6. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Reset TDC by piston #1 and redo plug wires is good starting point.

7. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

also try pulling the cap and checkin your rotor

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

What dist. are you running?

If you're running a big-cap HEI, I've had everything inside of one go bad but never a coil. I always change them but it's never the problem. :rolleyes:

It's always either the pickup coil, the module or even the wiring harness that goes from the cap to the module (sold with the RFI condenser).

How are you checking your power to the coil, VOM or test light? If the coil isn't getting full battery voltage during cranking, the spark will be weak.

You may have fouled the plugs during all that 180-off backfiring.

9. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

it's an '80 400 with sock Hei ign/dist.went to TDC,firing order 18436572.tested with test light,power to dist.but no where else.rotor doesn't look burned,cracked or crusty(from moisture).didn't see any cracks in the cap.i've got one more rotor to try before buying another one,and i'll check the plugs though i don't think they're going to be the problem.it's only been started up since the engine install.not driven.maybe a 1/2hr.run time.but i'll check them anyway.

10. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Do you have an ohm meter? If you do, you can check continuity in the three wires from the cap to the module. You can also check the resistance values of the coil and the pickup. Your local Murray's or Autozone can test the module for you.

This may seem like a dumb question but how did you verify that you're not getting spark? Did you take a plug, attach a wire and hold it against the engine or are you just going by the fact that it's not firing? If the rotor and cap aren't aligned properly, you'll get spark but nowhere the right time.

Do you still have my phone number? Call me and we'll see what we can work through!

11. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

no ohm meter.I'll have it tested though.i had a friend holding the plug against the engine and there was nothing.it's way to cold this weekend to mess with it,but when i get ready to work on it again I'll give you a shout.what would a D.U.I. set me back?

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

DUI? As in a drunk driving arrest?? Thousands, man... thousands. Don't do it. :eek1:

13. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

:haha: hE!! No!I'd actually have to drink to do that.Davis Unified Ignition(D.U.I.)A high perf.distributor.oh yeah.I worked on it today for a bit.put on another rotor(not new)and got enough spark to pop through the carb a couple of times then no spark after that.that or very weak spark .the un-seeable type.the plugs are gas soaked,i'm assuming because it won't fire...i hope.still getting power to the dist.,though.would i be able to ground the test light and put the probe into the plug wire to see if it's getting power to the end of the wire?

14. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Not unless it's rated for spark testing. Most test lights are only rated for 12v, not 40,000v. :D

Most spark testers clamp to the outside of the plug wire using an inductive pickup.

Never heard of a DUI distributor.

15. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

watch Hot Rod TV.it's advertised.I'll try changing the plugs and have the ECM tested.it's just to freakin' cold!!!!