Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No Spark

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1HighK5, Sep 5, 2005.

1. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Hi everyone I just finished putting an NP205 and an older style SM465 in my 85 Blazer. I had put a 3in body lift in right before the tranny T-case swap and had not had the truck running for about a month any way the tranny is in and I wanted to run the truck because it had been sitting but now I have no spark. I'm guessing it was somthing done during the body lift. I watched and made sure I didn't pull any wires and had enough room and from what I saw or know about nothing was pulled. Any how can anyone help,I am out of Ideas I've looked and checked all the wires on the distributer with a meter and all seems to check out fine. Any Ideas will be a great help!

2. rumbly truck

rumbly truck 1/2 ton status

Is distrbuter cap, or the rotor broken ? What about the carbon button? When you say no spark, do mean at the spark plugs? It is turning over?

3. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

I had just replaced cap rotor coil and plug wires with new spark plugs about 2 months ago and the engine is turning over but I got nothing at the plugs. The engine ran like a top just before I parked it for the work started every time. I also checked all the cap rotor ect. all the usual parts

4. rumbly truck

Why l ask is , if you had the body bump the distributer while installing the body lift. You could have broke the rotor, or the cap. A broken cap can let the spark to ground. A busted carbon button won't pass currant. Get a helper, or a remote starter and roll it over and listen for a spark going to ground.What transmission did you replace. You didnt do a conversion did you?

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's possible that when you swapped the tranny that the engine fell back against the body, knocking the dist. cap forward. Check that first.....

6. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Nope No conversion had a 465 with a 208 but I broke it so I figured with the axles I wanted a 205 but couldn't find a newer one with the input shaft I needed so I went with an older 465 with the 10 spline coupler. And I removed the dist. cap when I did the body lift so as not to damage it it was off for like two days until I got around to putting it back on.

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

they made a 465/208 combo, but it wasn't available until '80 i believe

8. rumbly truck

HEI? if so check voltage at the power terminal on distributer , usually the big fat red wire. If you have power there it is most likley in the distributer

9. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

yep you are write I think. My Rig is an 85 I had a 465 208 combo but broke it but the newer style 465 with the fine spline out put shaft requires a very hard to find and very expensive newer 205, so I swaped in an older 465/205 combo with the easy to find 10 spline coupler.

10. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Thank you I will check it first thing tomorrow.