Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no spark???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy wrangler, Jul 10, 2006.

1. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

my uncle has a 1969 chevy k10 and its a 350 ,350trans and a 205 t-case, it has points ign. when we turn the key the engine turns well but wont start, my questioin is why is there no power in the spark plug wires??? we put a screwdriver in the wires and we g=cant seem 2 get spark!!!need help plezzz:confused: :confused:

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A screwdriver?!?!?! :eek1: You are crazy! thats almost 50,000 volts from the dizzy! You're lucky there was no spark

3. chevy wrangler

we tried 2 get spark on the frame

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The way I try to test for spark is take the spark plug out and put it back in the wire. Then hold the plug so it is grounded on the exhaust manifold while some cranks the engine and then watch the gap on the spark plug for sparks.

5. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

A much safer way to check for spark is to hook up a timing light to the #1 wire. If the light flashes, there's spark. You might check the coil wiring. Make sure it has continuous power in the "on" position. When I re-wired mine, I incorrectly wired it to only have power in the "start" position. If you know for sure you're not getting spark, pull the plug wire coming off the distributor cap that runs to the coil. Lay the open end against the firewall (about an inch or so away will work). Turn the engine over and have somebody make sure its sparking against the firewall. DO NOT put your hands anywhere near the end of that wire while turning it over. Also, check all your ground connections.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if it has sat a long time check the points for green stuff. comon problem where i live.

7. chevy wrangler

well it was running and thenthe timming chain jumped a tooth, so we replaced the gear and the chain and now nothing!!im stuck

8. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

To check for juice in the plug wires, I keep one of these in my console (along with a few other diagnostic things gadgets, a spare gnition module, some bulbs, etc., in case of an on-road problem):

http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=187

Small, easy and fast to use, and really cheap to boot.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

testing points..

To see if the points are working,hook a 12V test light to the NEGATIVE terminal of the ignition coil--ground the other end to a good ground..crank the engine--if the points are making and breaking like they should,the test lamp will blink on and off--if it does not blink,clean the points and test again..also make sure there is 12 volts getting to the POSITIVE terminal on the ignition coil with the key "on"..once you get the light to blink,check for spark at the COIL wire that plugs into the center of the dist. cap--if it has spark there,the dist.cap or rotor is not letting the spark get to the plug wires..

Its highly possible the points are corroded,and need to be replaced or at least cleaned to get spark back again...:crazy:

10. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Wires hooked up to the coil correctly???????