Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NO SPARK!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Oct 21, 2003.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

1987 Suburban, 454TBI, auto, 2wd.

Okay got the engine back in and all wired up. Go to fire it up and it cranks over, but wont start /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Fuel pump is working. Check for spark through one of the wires and nada, nothin, zip.

All lights on dash work, no unplugged wires.

Now before I pulled the old motor, it started up fine, no problems whatsoever...other than the fact that the shattered piston/rod was slapping around making a horrific noise /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now that I put this engine in it doesnt want to fire. Same distributor (new cap, rotor, wires), same coil, same module, etc. It worked before, I dont see why it wouldnt work now.

Any ideas on what/how to check it? I need to get this thing going!

Could it be a ground somwhere?

Also, I replaced the fuel filter and both fuel lines were off...would they need to be bled or will it be fine?

ANY help is appreciated/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Is your timing off? Are you sure your dist isn't 180 off?

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

If it was....wouldnt I still at least get spark somewhere?

4. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

First thing, Did you ground the test plug while cranking?
    Next thing has the test pulg been dropped and the gap closed? Check for 12v+ in to the cap with the key on.
    (Note Im not trying to be an a$$ but I have seen people do that) good luck with your problem

5. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

i use a screw driver to test for a spark, stick it in there, put it close to a grounded piece and see if it sparks (keep fingers away all though that will tell you if it sparks too so feel free to stick yer finger in there).

if you get nothing out of the spark wire, pull the one going from coil to rotor and cap and see if you get anything out of there, it will thell you if its before or after this point problem, and keep going.

i have never blead a fuel line or heard of anyone doing that before (well maybe except for mechanical fuel pumps) with electric in tank one you just hear air pushed back into the fuel tank blob blob /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Have the ignition module tested.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Did you install the ground strap that goes from the engine to the cab ?
    Not having a good ground can cause issues with your ECM.
    Also as Tim said "Check your dist module"
    Check the(2) fuses to the ECM one may be blown.
    Recheck all electrical connections.
    Dont need to bleed fuel lines on TBI

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

#1. Check to be sure the rotor is spinning while cranking.
    #2. Check coil for spark.
    #3. Check wires with a volt meter, STARTING with the coil wire.
    #4. Past this, check the ECM for codes. If the module is shot, the ECM should know about it. EVEN IF the module is shot, most of the time (from my expereince) the ECM will take over spark control, and still limp the motor along.
    #5. Check out MY SITE (page 6) , and look for voltage on the connectors at the coil.

Hope this helps! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

-Dan

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

How do you check the codes? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I am 99% sure that ground strap is connected, I'll double check though.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll check them out and hopefully figure this thing out!

11. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

BTW, you are talking about the one that goes from the back of the block right? Isnt there a stud on the firewall where it connects?

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You've made sure the coil wire is connected and seeing 12V when the key is on too, right?

13. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

coil wire connected, yes...
    what exactly do you mean seeing 12 volt when the key is on?
    Sorry been goin to bed at 12am and gettin into work at 3am the last 3 days and I think its gettin to me /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'm sure its gonna be something stupid simple. But I sure as hell cant seem to figure it out /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

14. KRAZIE87K5

Find the ALDL plug (rectangle plug under the dash to the left of the column). Find that thing, and use a paper clip to jump pins 1 and 2, the top-right most two pins.

Turn the key to RUN, and you'll see the SES light blinking codes. It will blink a number of times, pause, and blink another number of times, pause and repeat three times for EACH code. It will ALWAYS begin with code 12, blinking like:

BLINK...... BLINK... BLINK...... BLINK...... BLINK... BLINK...... BLINK...... BLINK... BLINK......

And then proceed to the next code, or just blink 12 AGAIN if no codes are thrown. Once you have codes, you can learn what they mean HERE ON MY SITE, amongst other places on the net.

Hope that helps man. Let us know how it goes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

15. KRAZIE87K5

ONE MORE THING... the ECM gets its constant power from the starters main terminal in most cases... regardless, make sure that there is voltage on pin B1 while cranking. If this does NOT have 12v on it while cranking, the ECM is basically being SHUT OFF and reset everytime you turn the key. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Just another idea!

Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Make sure the wire to the coil isn't cut. If you pulled the engine, it's very possible a wire got pinched and broke.

Might as well check the easy stuff.

Coil wire should have 12V when the key is turned to run. (use a voltmeter to test)