Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No-spin for 14bff??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JHG, Dec 31, 2004.

1. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

Recently I bought a 14bff and a new 4.88:1 diff. Now I am thinking of what locker to choose. In my 12 bolt I have a Torsen locker and am very happy with it.

I was looking for lockers for the 14b and it seems that nospin is around $300-400 but selectable locker is around $700-800.

Therefore I am thinking about NOSPIN. Now I want to know how it is to drive with nospin on the streets. Will it make a loud sound (that will make me scared) or wont I notice it a lot.

It will go under my :k5: but it has 38 inch tires and is modified so I could fit 44s.

Thanks,

Jon H.

2. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

I had driven mine on the street for years and only had it pop twice

3. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

the first 'no spin' i ever had in a rig i didn't notice it on the street for 8 months! ;) then it made a little chirp, i thought is that all? people blow the detroits handling ability way out of proportion. the magazine editors are nuts, they think that detroits are evil on the street. you'll be fine and i doubt you'll even realize its back there for a long time. i just put another detroit in my new blazer and i haven't 'noticed' it yet in 100 miles of street driving. you'll be just fine. plus you'll be reassured that's its permanently locked w/ nothing that can go wrong. :D

4. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I was looking through Summit and if I understood it correctly those lockers are not as loud as they used to be.

A friend had a nospin on his Samurai and it was alwais making some sounds, but I think I heard it sometime it was less hassle with a heavy truck than a light one.

So now I have to keep spending some money :cool1:

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I've got a no spin in my 79 running 44" boggers on it. It seems that the more miles I put on it, the louder it gets. When I first got it, I never heard any bangs, clicks, or pops. Now that I've got many hard miles on it, you can definately hear it and sometimes feel it. That said, I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I ran a welded D70, but couldn't keep axles in it so I built the FF14 hoping the Detroit would be easier on the axles. So far I have only broken one 14 Bolt axle and I still drove it home in one wheel drive. The install is a snap, and the strength is unquestionable. The only time I'd reccommend a selectable locker is on a daily driven vehicle.

6. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

i wouldn't go that far!!!! i daily drive mine periodically and i wouldn't trade it for the world. :D