Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no start......fuel problem...PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Dec 14, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

on one of my trucks it is has a starting issue, it has a edelbrock carb on it with a brand new napa metal fuel filter. well after it gets cold it dosent wanna start without starting fluid or dumping gas down the carb, its not the choke because it is a manual choke and i am familiar with how to work one. when it is completely cold i can look down into it and pump the throttle and it wont spray any gas, it has great spark and once i get it started it runs great and fires up everytime, just have the no start when its been sitting for a while, i have just replaced the fuel pump also thinking it might be bad but to no avail. i did notice the other night the the letters on the fuel filter are upside down going into the carb, but there is not a direction arrow, is it somehow loosing its prime? please try and send me in the right direction here! thanks

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

IIRC the accelerator pump should store gas in it so that when you pump initially, it squirts the gas in to start. Sounds like the fuel is bleeding off somewhere.

3. bigbadchev84

anyone else have any ideas?

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

If you are not seeing gas squirting when working the throttle, then I would replace the accel pump, but 1st check to make sure it is hooked up.

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

You would have to be losing gas from the float bowl or have a bad diaphram for the accelerator pump not to work.

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I had this exact same problem, I changed everything you did even rebuilt the carb. Turned out it was something in the gas tank. I put a fuel cell in my rig and never had the problem again. I never inspected the tank to see what was wrong, just upgraded to a cell because I wanted to and have never had a problem since then. I would suggest dropping your tank and cleaning it out. You might have something in there that floats to the bottom near the pick up after it sits, the fuel pump is not strong enough to draw fuel, but when the engine is fired with some gas down the carb it kicks the fuel pump a lot faster allowing it draw enough fuel to bypass the foreign object.

7. stallion85

8. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

I'm still having the exact same problem. Even with a brand new QJ, so the tank seems to be the place to look.

9. bigbadchev84

ok well here is the deal......i was driving home from a friends house on the freeway, and it started to buck and stall just like it always does when the tank is ran dry, so i switch tanks and it keeps doing the exact same thing then it starts to backfire through the carb, i had installed a new cam in the motor a couple thousand miles back and was having problems building oil pressure -the parts guy gave me the wrong lifters, so i didnt break the cam in properly, while i was trying to diagnose the problem i replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter and i cant remember for sure but i think i swapped carbs too, then decieded it was a bad cam, i pulled the motor and dissasembled and sure enough i had 1 flat lobe and 2 really rough pitted lobes, so i swapped out the cam and re-installled, now i am running into this problem, i never had a problem at all before coming home from my friends, it was always a pump the pedal twice and she would fire and run smooth. so i am kinda stumped as to what the problem is, i dont think it is in the tank, because i have the problem on both tanks.

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Have you looked at the fuel pump?

11. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Put a pressure gauge on your fuel pump outlet to verify operation. Is your fuel evap system still hooked up? I have seen the charcoal canisters clog up and cause a vacuum when the fuel pump is trying to draw fuel. Easy way to check for this is remove gas cap and crank it up. If it fires up and rund right, then you have a blockage somewhere in the evap system.
    Another thing to try is bypassing the tank switching valve, to see if it is sticking , causing fuel starvation.

12. bigbadchev84

i checked the fuel pressure and it is 6lbs while cranking it, i believe that is about right.....i have no emissions on my motor at all, i cleaned everything up and kept only what was neccesary for it to run.

13. bigbadchev84

14. gauder

gauder Banned

6 to 8lbs for a carbed motor, so you're in the range their.

15. bigbadchev84

ok guys i replaced the accelerator pump in it and to no avail. i just ended up swapping out carbs, the old one was completely full of gas but wouldnt squirt gas out of the 2 nozzles, the substituted carb works almost perfect, i gotta adjust the choke........but what would cause this? it runs fine when warm, i just gotta dump gas or starting fluid to start it.

16. gauder

gauder Banned

Ever have any backfires through it before?

17. bigbadchev84

yes a few why? its doing it when its cold on the new carb too now, only when you hammer down on it though

18. stallion85

It's gotta be something in your fuel tank.....

19. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the passageway from the accel pump to the squirt nozzles were plugged. Ya'll got mud dobbers in that part of the country?:D

20. bigbadchev84

fuel tank is ruled out, i swapped carbs and it is almost fine now, just a matter of tuning and adjusting choke, i guess a piece of crud is in there, but why does it work fine after i initially get it running and warmed up?