Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no start in the morning

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by doggystyle, Mar 17, 2005.

1. doggystyle

doggystyle Registered Member

i installed a new stock hei in my bosses 72' pickup it used to have points on the 327, so i converted it for him about 3 months ago, he has been very happy with it until last weekend, he said sat, sun, and monday morning he has went out to start his truck and it would just crank, he leaves it until about noon and it fires up right away, this last weekend was about 20-30degrees in the mornings, this is a completely stock motor with a quadrajet that was rebuilt and installed by an old guy last year. any ideas for what to look for?

2. doggystyle

doggystyle Registered Member

i forgot to say that he has also tried starting fluid while it is doing this and he cant even get a sputter out of it

3. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Maybe there is condensation building up inside the cap on the cold mornings? Thats all i can think of.

Later

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

fouled plugs....

The spark plugs might be fouled--I've had a few trucks with HEI fail to start if the plugs get flooded first start of the day,usually caused by a choke pull off that failed or the choke is set too tight and stays on too long--one truck refused to even fire one plug until it sat several hours and the gas evaporated,then it started right up..new spark plugs cured it until it flooded again...Also Q-jet carbs often had leaky well plugs in the base that leaked the gas out of the carb fuel bowl into the manifold and would drench the plugs after sitting..

Might check the plug wires too--they can short the spark to ground instead of firing the spark plugs if they are old,cracked or burnt thru..especially on damp humid days...HEI is more suseptible to bad wires due to the higher voltage..

Did you run a new 12v hot wire to the fuse box for the HEI??(one that is hot only with the key in the "on" position)--if you used the original yellow coil wire,it wont get a full 12V because its a resistance wire that cuts amperage to the points--HEI must have 12V to function properly!!...it can cause hard starts and hesitation,and cutting out under load if it doesnt get full 12V power:crazy:

5. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i second the condensation

or it could be a fould plug

LUKE

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I went through mine running bad untill I did this!:)