Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no start, no fuel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by killer305, Sep 7, 2005.

1. killer305

killer305 Registered Member

the other day i was heading back to school my 86 k-10 longbed w/ a 305 carbed started sputtering then it died. I thought that mabyi ran out of gas in one tank so i switched to the other and it still died. So i eventually get to school and come back and i noticed the clear fuel filter right befoe the carb inlet is empty. I poured alittle gas in the carb and it started right up. So i figured it was the mech fuel pump and since it was only 15$ i replaced it. I tried to start it and still no fuel. I thought maby i didnt have the pushrod on the pump arm so i double checked and it was alright. So now im lost. Where is the factory fuel filter or filters on this thing, i looked around the right tank but its getting dark so i called it a night. What else could it be. I switched the tanks with the truck off and i could hear it switch, it wasnt too load, but i have never noticed it before. It might just be because its the only time i have switched tanks with the truck off and the door open but i dont know. any suggestions. tommorow im gonna get a long piece of rubber hose and connect it to the large inlet port and put the other side into a gas can and see if it will pick up the fuel. If it still doesnt does that mean maby the cam is to worn? i doubt that it would just go from pumping in 10 seconds. Please help

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Factory filter is in the carb inlet. Even plugged up from years of junk they can't stop fuel, the "fail" mode is unfiltered fuel into the carb.

There are sock filters on the sender in the tanks, but for both of them to cause problems at once? Not likely at all.

How much gas did you pour in the carb? It very well may be that it needs to run for a few more seconds to get fuel pushing into the carb.

3. killer305

i just poured in enough to keep it running, that was before i replaced the pump though. I tried turning it over for maby 10-15 seconds but there was still no fuel up to the filter. Ill try starting it again pouring fuel in and see what happens does it usually need the vacuum from the carb to prime the pump?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, doesn't need vacuum from the carb, but from the fuel pump itself. If the lines drained back into the tank when you replaced the pump (and it will, or leak all over the ground), I can see it taking awhile to get to the fuel pump.

5. killer305

ture that makes sense. im gonna go try in a minute, i wish it was light out :( ill get back to you.

6. killer305

:bow: Thanks dude, you where right. I trickled gas into it for about a minute and when i let off she died. :( I asked my buddy to crank it over again and she fired right up. Thanks again buddy :bow: