Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No Start, No Spark, urgent help please...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5er4Life, Jan 28, 2007.

1. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I am having trouble finding out what exactly is my problem as to why I am not getting any spark. Its a 87 TBI. I am getting power to the power wire on the external coil but am getting nothing out of the coil. I figured the coil was the problem so I replaced it. Now Im starting to think it might be a relay, fuse or something. But I dont know where to start. These damn electrical problems suck. Please help need it urgently as my truck needs to move no later than tomorrow.

2. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

check the ignition module, it is under the dist. cap, most auto parts places will test it.

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

check the modual under the cap and the pickup coil under the cap, theses are the biggest causes for a no spark situation

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Thank you, I will run out and try that, but I am a little unclear as to how to go about removing it. I know its under the cap and under the rotor, hell Ill check back in a few minutes once I see what everything looks like under there. Thanks for the help, be back in a few...

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Remove cap and rotor, then unplug the two wiring connectors and remove the two screws that hold the module in place. Install new module. Be CERTAIN that you smear the back of the new module with the thermal grease that comes with it,before you install it. Otherwise it will overheat and burn out pretty quickly. :(

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If the module doesn't fix it then you need to replace the pick-up coil inside the distributor but you have to remove the distributor and take it completely apart in order to change it.

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it, got it all straightened out. Turned out to be the pickup module. A quick look at the chiltons helped a bit too. Last night I was on my way back home when the truck took a dump on the freeway. Luckily I wasnt far from home and had a new bottle of jack so when I waited for AAA to show up I had some drinking to do.:saweet: