Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No start on an 80's HEI motor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backyardbuilt, Aug 5, 2004.

1. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

No start on an 80\'s HEI motor?

A neighbor came to me with a problem truck won't start. He went to start it an it fired right up revved up for a second and shut off, then wouldn't start. Said it didn't have a tune up recently and wanted to do it while fixing it. It is getting gas but no spark I had him get a new module for the distributor, new rotor, cap, coil, plugs, and wires. He put all that in paying close attention to where everything went but still has the no start, just cranks over real good. The only thing I can think of is maybe a fusible link in the ignition somewhere, is there anything I'm overlooking, that stuff should make the whole system new. Thanks for any help.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: No start on an 80\'s HEI motor?

whats the motor? or what was it originally? I remember when we did the motor swap in my 84 K5 that originally had a 305, it had that ESC crap. There was one wire that plugged into the cap first, then the 12v source plugged into that wire. If that first wire wasn't connected the truck would not start. Just 1 damn wire, guess it was the power supply to the ESC. I removed the ESC to keep anything like that form happening again.

3. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Guess I shoulda put that but I don't know never asked just figured older v-8's all the same. But I did not see where a esc wire could plug so don't think it had that. Thanks though.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Had the exact same problem. Replaced everything, tested each component, and still no spark. Had to just replace the whole unit. Do you have a spare you could swap in? My magnetic pickup had a rust film on it, and I figured that it (the magnetic pickup) had quit working.

Just something that happened to me. Hope it helps.

5. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

my first guess would have been the module, but you said he replaced that, unless he didn't put something back right, /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Does it have a computer??.If it does check the "ECM"fuse.Also the "Guages/Cluster"fuse is tied in with the ignition curcuit on some trucks.Spent many dollars and hours at my friends repair shop,only to find it was blown fuses! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif