Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no stinking spark!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coolhandluke, Dec 21, 2001.

1. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

Ok, somehow I don't have any spark, and thus, no running, where do you start trying to figure out what's wrong?

83 k5 originally diesel, now 350, 700-R4 12 bolt rear, 33x12.50 BFG Trails (yuck), desperately seeking a lift
    sometimes nothing is a real cool hand

2. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

coil to cap wire, wires to coil, rotor nfg, cap nfg
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

3. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

Just had this problem, first thing I did was take off the dist cap and rotor, both were scorched. Damp weather pushed them over the limit and they stopped working together. Also check wiring, etc, as stated above. Good luck, season's greetings!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    --Thomas Jefferson

4. ricka

ricka Registered Member

As suggested, check the distributor cap and rotor for visible signs of wear.
    These are cheap enough that if you have had them long enough, buy new
    ones as part of a tune up. Try these and if that doesn't solve the problem,
    go deeper. I'll bet it's the HEI ignition module - a $20 part. Buy two and keep
    one spare for next time this happens. If it's not the module, it the distributor
    base isn't picking-up a signal.

-------
    Rick Anderson (rick.d.anderson@tektronix.com)
    Tektronix, Inc. Beaverton, OR 503-627-2630

5. JIMS_WYO_K5

JIMS_WYO_K5 Newbie

Had same problem in my '83. Working with the distributor did nothing for it. It was a bad connection on the spark control module behind the glove compartment. I could reach up there and tug on the harness and away it would go. I ended up jumping the box out and it has never happened since. Hope that helps.

Jim from WY

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Module in the distributor could be bad too. They go bad pretty much all at once. You can have your coil tested at an auto parts store, but I don't think they will be able to test your module, so make sure you've checked everything else good before you replace it.