Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NO TAIL LIGHTS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DOUGHBOY, Nov 24, 2000.

1. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

on the way home tonite i relized i have no tail lights.everything else works fine.turn signals,brake,dash,headlights etc..but no tail lights.i thought my dash lights are on the same fuse so i was thinkin it wasnt a fuse,and i dont see both bulbs burning out at the same time.any ideas

guns dont kill postal workers do.
    CENTRAL ILLINOIS

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I know it sounds dumb but check the bulbs first. Maybe one has been burned out for a while and now the other one went too. Do the front parking lights work?

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Got a meter or a working bulb and a couple of wires? It sounds like you have a loose or broken wire going back to the lights. You can check this by pulling a bulb, turn the lights on and see if you have power. If not, work your way back. Good luck....

4. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

I have seen blazers that had holes rotted in the floor and the rough metal broke through the wiring.Follow the wires from the back to the cab and check for breakage or bare spots shorting out.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. DOUGHBOY

i have checked the wires and bulbs.everythings fine.i was thinking could a bad headlight switch have anything to to with tail lights,cause i have brakelights and headlights just thinkin that could be it,maybe

CENTRAL ILLINOIS

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

This summer one of my trailer hookup wires was worn thru and it wreaked havoc on my taillights. I found it rubbing on the hitch.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

7. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

On '81-'87 the brown wire that runs to the front and rear powers the side marker lights, parking lights(tail lights), and tag light. If your front parking lights are working, then its in the wiring from the bulkhead in the engine compartment to the rear of the K5. I had troubles with mine due to some previous owner using the crimp on type wire connectors for a trailer. Of course they cut a few wires and leave a hole in the insulation. The wire corroded and finally broke in two. It was a mess.

Cruisin in my '73.

8. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem and it was driving me crazy. I found out, (after a while), that the tailgate was closing on the wires and that the wire was actually cut from inside the rubber insulation...................js

9. DOUGHBOY

goose you were on the money with that one.someone had spliced wires for trailor lights and the brown wire was coroded and it broke in to,but it took me awhile to find it.with the reese hitch in the way i couldnt get to the wires inside the frame rail next to the gas tank.well that where she was thanks everyone for the help.

CENTRAL ILLINOIS

10. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Glad I could help.

Fencepost eater