Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No turn signals, brakes lights, but center brake works

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Snow Patrol, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Snow Patrol

Snow Patrol Registered Member

OK heres the scoop, I recently bought my 95 GMC 3500. Everything was fine until the sday i realized i had a paperclip where my hazard button was supposed to be. I ripped out the paperclip to no realize i have no turnsignals nor hazard lights. so i replace the part which was suppose to be a recal which they made me pay for $27.00.
    i replace the switch in about 3 minutes and everythins worked beautiful i wanted to cry.
    then one night at work i start my truck turn on my head lights and my horn starts sounding. so i tap it a few times it goes off but the steerin column starts smoking. after about 10 seconds it stops and all is ok. then when i realize i now have no turn signals. ok no big deal just yet.
    so i go plowing snow last night to have my partner tell me " hey your brake lights are out but your center brake light works. PLEASE HELP!

"I have always been a ford man, i was talked into a GMC and have had nothing but problems since i purchased this truck."

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

sounds like a bad turn signal switch.

ryan

3. Snow Patrol

Well i see this is $135.00 part. yippy, more money for my new to me truck. grrr. any other suggestions? is this switch easy to change? i have heard some stories on disaseembling the steering column.

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

yep, the column has to come apart.

i would buy it, unplug the old switch under the dash and plug in the new one and check your turn signal/brake lamp operation first. if it works, then put it in.

ryan

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Center brake light is wired entirely seperate of the other brake lights for just this reason.

Helps diagnosis a bit, at least you know the problem has nothing related to it. :)

6. Snow Patrol

Well it sounds as if this may be the only option. any one know how difficult it is to take apart the column?

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

not very difficult, an exploded diagram helps alot, but you will need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate compressor (i guess thats what you call it).

should be able to get it from the parts houses that rent/borrow tools.

ryan

8. Snow Patrol

:confused: just curious if you still think its the switch still. let me explain. so i walk out to my truck to see a flat tire so i said :eek1: " oh yea ". :mad: first things first i check the fuses. and good old number 16 blue. change out the old 20 amp and now i have turn signals again. :D however still no brake lights. just keeping ya updated.
    took off the steering column neck and everything thing appears to be intackand wrapped up nice (not that it means to much) :o

Ken

I realize the flat tire has nothing to do with the brake lights. but you never know in my world lol

i thank you for any help :bow: