Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no voltage reading on gauge

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LlanoK5, Jul 2, 2003.

1. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

As the subject states, I have voltage reading on my gauge. I've had the dash apart (different reason), but all the connections and wires looked good. Where does the gauge get its reading from? I think I may need to start there this time around.

Kirk

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt rely too much on the gauge. It is probably broken. My temp guage is laying at where about 300 degrees would be, and my voltage guage is lying around where 0 would be. I went to autozone and bought some sunpro guages, and they tell me the temp runs about 195, and the volts at a constant 13.
    -Harrison

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Before you get too carried away you should closely at the plastic printed circuit behind your gauges. There's a good chance that the circuit to your volt gauge got fried somewhere. The same thing happened to my 83....

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

CanmoreK5 is correct. The 12 volt reading simply come's from voltage in the circuit at the dash. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Just to play devil's advocate; your gauge fuse is still good, right? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I blew this fuse just a couple of weeks ago on my way to work. I kept hearing a constant beep noise, like when you leave your headlights on, 'hard to hear over the BFGs and 6.2 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I look down and I have less than a 1/8 tank of fuel...WTF I should have 3/4 /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Then I glance at the volt meter and it's ZERO ZIP NOTHING NADA, holy crap /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif And I've still got this slight ringing (beeping) in my ears /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif