Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no wires to high beam switch? WTH?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyTungsten, Nov 26, 2005.

1. BillyTungsten

BillyTungsten Registered Member

Hey guys, need a little help... my brother recently bought a 1969 K5... he was prepping for a bedliner and suddenly his headlights wouldn't work... I searched CK5, came up w/ the high-beam switch as a possible culprit, and now I am on the phone with him (he is in Georgia)as I type this. Get this: There are NO wires coming to or from his high-beam switch (on the floor), yet the thing worked before the trouble with the headlights.

cue the twighlight-zone music...

How the heck does this switch control the high/low beams without wires?

BTW, he became a member this morning - please welcome another brother and show him how good you guys are!

2. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

Welcome Bros, someone hasn't changed the steering column that has the dimmer switch mounted on it have they???

3. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

the 3 prong plug that goes to the dimmer on the floor will also plug into the horn relay and if you arent paying attention it might fit in the reverse light/ nuetral safety switch on the steering column. the heater control fan switch is similar as well. of the top of my head, i think the dimmer wires are red, green, and black? if not i'll edit. i'd verify all wires are where they oughta be. this harness comes out of the truck in about 15 minutes with a 3/8", 5/16", and 1/2" socket and a phillips screwdriver. i've seen alot of wiring jobs that could have been done right if the harness had been pulled and looked at in the light.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  4. BillyTungsten

BillyTungsten Registered Member

This has been resolved. The switch body is composed of two pieces - one had gone entirely missing... once he realized this, John was able to buy a replacement and wire it up. Thanks for the info!