Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nocona run off, now Gilmer on the 29th

Discussion in 'Plains Region' started by txbartman, Jun 21, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Well, I called the guy in charge of Nocona today to get some final pricing. He is in the middle of moving right now and thinks it is just too hot. SO... Nocona is closed until the Fall! go figure..

So, we have now changed to Gilmer for the 29th. I am probably still going to make it a day trip. It is a little farther, but not too bad. Is everyone still gonna make it? Maybe we can all meet up and caravan out.

2. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

Count me in. As it stands now ill leave out friday after work and spend the weekend. If anyone else is camping ill be at the "old camp" area.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

ARGH...Isn't gilmer mostly mud? Any rocks out that way? I may be in for it but I really dont know...that's quite a bit farther for me.

4. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I'll be there. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Still making it a day trip. This adds about 2 hrs. to my trip one way. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Oh well.

5. johnnysjimmy

johnnysjimmy Registered Member

Where is Gilmer? What kind of trails are out there

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Here are some pics from our last trip to Gilmer. There is some of everything out there. But, there are not any major rocks. Maybe sluggo can chime in here. He has done a lot more of the trails out there than I have.

I do know that there is not as much mud there as Shiloh Ridge. I have never been to Gilmer when it was wet, though, so I don't know what the trails become if moisture is present. I would expect things would become very slick, very quickly.

It may add some distance and time for you and may not be your ultimate choice. BUT... it is fun time off-raod with some good friends. Isn't that worth it a bit as is? /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Gilmer is actually Barnwell Mountain OHV Area. It is located just outside of Gilmer TX. Gilmer is about 30 minutes north of Tyler in East TX. Here is a link to more information about it. There are a wide variety of trails out there from novice to expert. One guy on here that is quite extreme on his wheeling has broken a couple of Dana 60 stub shafts on the trails, so there are some tough ones.

But, like I said, there are also some novice ones, too. It should be a lot of fun. Sounds so far like we are going to have a pretty good turnout.

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Okay, were at the week of...

Sounds like we have a handful going out this Saturday. I was at 4WPW this Saturday and ran into a guy with a K5 w/44s just installed. He is planning to be there Sat. There are a couple of others that were planning the trip as well. I know Butch is camping and we are coming out for the day.

Let's all plan to meet at 9am. Sound good? Do we wanna meet topside? Or down at Old Camp? I think topside would be good. We will be going through McKinney around 6am, across 380 to Greenville, then I30 over to 69 and down to Gilmer. Guessing we will hit Greenville by 7am and split off of 30 around 7:45-8am. Anyone wanna meet up with us a caravan out saturday morn?

9. sluggo45acp

Most of the rocks out there are ledges. There is supposed to be a rock garden but i havnt seen it.(Dennis was out there a couple of weeks ago and saw it.). When it rains it gets real slick but it seems to dry out quickly. I think the tmtc site has some pictures of the superlift run in the spring.
    Im heading out there friday afternoon, if anyone else is going let me know what time you plan on getting there and ill meet ya at the gate. Gilmer info Also on rockcrawler.com under trails, TX4x4 fall run.

10. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Jason told me about him. 6" lift & 44's w/o moving the axle. I don't know how he doesn't hit the cab. I am going out there w/ Jason. I have never been there, so I will be where ever he is. We are leaving 287 & N. Main @ 5 a.m., and should be rollin' through FW around 5:45. Any body wants to meet up can reply.

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Provided my new front driveshaft gets here in time, I'll be there. Gearing up now and got my new swamps yesterday. I'm ready!!!

12. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Gilmer is a red rock area, used to be a mine and they cut the top of the mountain off mining it, there is two rock gardens that I know of, trails range from way way way tough to mild, they're all marked much like a ski slope in diamonds. All trail heads are marked. To date I've blown two axles, numerous u-joints, and have seen Dana 60's and 14 bolts go way south on the trails out there, it has more trails than you can do in a weekend, showers, BBQ joint at the park, and restrooms. I've been there around 6 times now and find new places each time.

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

You going?

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I think i'm going to be regretfully out on this one. Money issues have come up and I'm going to need to work the weekend away. Next time.

Bryan

15. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I guess you can disregard the PM I sent you about meeting up Saturday morning in Greenville. Should've checked here first. But I am curious about the welding.

16. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Meeting at 9am at the gate, if anyone else wants to join us. May be some morning showers, but all in all should be a good day for wheeling. Enough moisture to cut down on the dust and cloud cover to keep the sun away and from it getting too steamy.

Ready to wheel!

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

well, how did it go? Where's the carnage pics? Gimme something to make me jealous dang it!!!

Btw, I got my front bumper made, frame straightened out, and made a cage kit for a friend's Heep saturday.

18. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Had a fairly good day. Sluggo camped out Fri. night and met tx85gmc at the gate @ 9 am. Our caravan consisting of myself in the blk K5, my dad in his TJ, Jason in his Zuke, and John in his K5 on 44" boggers w/ 6" lift /forums/images/icons/cool.gif arrived shortly after. After unloading everyone's junk and fixing shifter probs. on my K5 and John's K5, we were off to a good start. We started on some easier trails, and began to work our way up to harder and tighter trails. A few tried the exit to the Houston trail. We then took a short lunch break and fixed a bad U-Joint on John's K5, and also flipped his degree shims for a better pinion angle. He actually built that truck in two weeks, so there were still a few minor bugs to work out. We then tried a 3 diamond that was fairly tough for a 3. The Cheerokee that arrived about 11 am came very close to rolling. The K5 on 44's tried to take the hard line and after idling about 1/2 way up snapped the poor welds on the spring pads and rotated the pinion to 90 degrees, wasted the U-Joint, broke the pinion yoke and bent the shocks. Sluggo put a large gash in the sidewall of his tire and blew the master cylinder seal. John took his back to the trailer, and tx85gmc and sluggo decided to call it a day also. The rest of us continued on to explore a few more of the harder trails. On the exit to Sunday Cruise I decided to go far to the right and nearly rolled trying to climb over the 4" diameter tree. I backed down and cleared it on the next try. Sunday Cruise is an awesome fairly easy trail to check articulation. We all enjoyed driving accross the large crack in the middle. Sluggo and tx85gmc also need to throw in all of the other stuff I forgot.

19. sluggo45acp

Byran I cant add much except you left out me running into the ledge and bending over my tow hooks, then getting hung up on the same ledge crunching my rocker and chewing up the rear yoke. I would liked to have stayed the rest of the day but my brake situation really sucked. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    And thanks for straping me over that ledge /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    We all had a great time

20. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

You summed it up in a lot fewer words that I! All in all we had a good time. It was the first time I had ever been a passenger on the trails. Kinda enjoyed not having to stress as much as you do as a driver! I think Gilmer showed that it may look like a simple place, but it can chew up the toughest rigs and spit 'em out!

I have lots of pics that i am sorting through today and will have up on my webshots site before day's end. I will post when I do for all to see.

One thing I did learn was not to park next to a K5 with 44s when you only have 35s!