Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NOID light pulses

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am diagnosing TPI issues:

I have a question about testing the module.

The test is to put a 12V power to the purple (refence) wire for the injectors at the distributor and when 12V is removed the NOID light should blink.

Mine does blink, but VERY little. You can barely see the filament of the bulb turn red and then go away. Is this how it should work or should the bulb really flash.

Sometimes when I accidentally touch the reference wire a couple times quickly the light flashes bright, but it is very dull if I only touch it once.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

do u mean tbi? I know on TBI they should be very bright, the brighter it is flashing. At night it should light up underhood pretty well. I was having starting issues and it was a barly visible pop, then once i fixed it if was one bright sunavagun.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Nope, I mean TPI. I am swapping it in right now.

My flashes are very dim.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

hmnnnn i can only assume that they too would need to be very bright.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've never tried one out on my TPI setup. But since TPI is doing with 8 injectors what TBI does with 2, then it would stand to reason that the pulse width to the TPI injectors is about 1/4 of that required for the TBI injectors, to deliver the same amount of fuel. So yeah, the pulses could be pretty short. Does the noid light flash continuously while cranking the starter? If so, then the injectors should be squirting some fuel into the engine. If not, you need to figure out why... ( <-- From my mastery of the obvious! ) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Perhaps an analog voltmeter would work best? I know in short duration events, the analog works better than digital stuff, I'm betting a light would act the same as the digital voltmeter with extremely short duration pulses.(?)

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmm, I got to thinking about this some more. Since each of the TPI injectors is rated to flow a lot less than the TBI injectors, perhaps the pusle widths aren't much different between them. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif