Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noise Capacitor ?? Do you have 1 ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudslinger99, Jun 8, 2005.

1. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I don''t feel like going through all the cookie crap on that site again, so without looking at it, I'll just mention that I have one in my car, and it works... you can also skip the thing altogether and pickup static reducing spark plug wires, which will pretty much do the same thing as the capacitor to a lesser degree. Unless you run in SPL competitons and Bass comps, you don't need one unless you already hear the static from your engine through your speakers...

3. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

Is yours the type that plugs in to the altenator ?...

I know somebody else around here has got 1 or tried 1 before...

4. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

If you don't have one then it's worth the try
    [​IMG]

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Usually they're noise suppression coils... capacitors don't let current flow too well on DC.

GM used factory coils on many things. The most common are on the blower motor.

I'd put one inline with your CB or radio's power lead. The alternator rarely puts out enough RF to affect anything. I'm willing to bet your problem is ignition related. Usually a fresh power supply off the battery will eliminate it.

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Uh, coils in series, caps in shunt. If it's grounded on one end, it has to be a capacitor, an inductor would create a short. It's true that capacitors block DC, that's the point. It passes the AC that's riding your DC voltage (the whine) to a ground without passing the DC, because passing the DC to ground would short it out.

Are you talking about the resistors? That's a whole different story, used as resistance to create different motor speeds, not as an inductor to filter frequencies.

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The problem with using a capacitor for noise suppression is that it is a limited bandstop filter. It does work though. Usually you'll see a capacitor and a coil... or just a coil. Not very often do you see just a capacitor in an automotive application.

I'm talking about the coils you see on just about every blower motor from the 70s and late 80s/early 90s. The coils of resistance wire for blower speed stuck in the blower housing is something completely different.