Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

noise, carpet??

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LKJR, Jul 27, 2001.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

ok here's the question to those of you who were curious of the title, going to have to put the patch panels, then I want to do something to the floor to cut noise and make it a little more chic friendly, (i.e. barefeet, lake truck, etc.), my worry is that I'll probably have the top off a lot, and if I put form molded replacement carpet in with some spray on sound deadner then it may trap water and promote rust. If I do this and use por15 on the steel first will this prevent rust? what are ya'lls experience with this, don't want $200 carpet trashed in 2 months from water but also would like something on the floor.

Like em big and topless

2. K5Buckeye

K5Buckeye Registered Member

Can't comment on the Por-15. My buddy had his CJ-7 spray-lined then he layed carpet over it. He has no top and it has had it's share of rain sotrms. Almost 2 years that way. No rust to date.

1972 K5
    1991 Jimmy

3. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

I had my entire tub 'bed-lined' then put carpet over that. it seems to have worked very well. I did use the form fitted carpet for the front area, but I used universal carpet for the 'bed' area. the formed carpet comes with noise deadening attached to the underside and it works great. I've had it wet several times with no noticable problems yet. (its been about a year). in the back I put regular carpet underlayment down for noise deadening and it works very well too, plus its cheap. so if it gets to smelling funky, you just throw it out.

hope this helps
    -Josh

'72 blazer 9" lift YOKO mudders 35x12.50 350/sm465/3.73 UTAH

4. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

During the rebuild of my 72 K5, I removed all carpeting and insulation from the tub, applied POR15 to all horizontal and vertical surfaces within the body tub including the lower door kick panels (basically everthing but the dash). I then applied a spray-in bed liner to these same areas. I finished the job by installing a vacuum formed high-density polyethylene (HDPE) mat in the front and rear with niose insulation under. Now the truck is darn near weather proof with the top off. I live in southern California, so excessive water in the truck has never been a problem, but if it was, I could easilly remove the HDPE liner and insulation, as these are not glued in place. The mat is very easy to clean, and looks great.

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

where did you get the mat at?
    how much as well (ballpark) ?
    thanks man

Like em big and topless

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hi cleszkie. Did you POR-15 over the existing paint or did some other prep so the POR-15 would stick to paint (or was your whole inside bare metal)? The instructions I have say it can't be applied over paint, just rust. So I was looking at removing all the paint spots inbetween the rusted parts (it's kinda intermixed) so that I could get good adhesion with the POR 15. I'd love not to have to do that.

7. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

I bought the vacuum formed HDPE mat from LMC Truck. The front mat (runs from under dash to step-up bulkhead behind front seats) cost somewhere in the $100 to $150 range. The bed mat cost about the same. Its been a while, so I may not be remembering correctly. I will double check this tonight. The mats come with the insulation. When you get the mats delivered to your house, they come all rolled and folded up, so it takes some heat and time to allow them to unroll, and unfold. You also need to do some trimming to get them to fit perfectly, and have to cut holes in it for seat mount bolts, high beam switch, floor shifters, and seat belt anchor bolts.

Regarding the POR15...My truck required a bit of floor repair, so much of the metal was already bare. But where the paint still existed, I just scoured it with a wire brush attachment on my grinder. The POR15 will stick to any rough surface, but it only really chemically bonds to rust. After grinding on the paint, I also degreased the surface with Xylene.

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info!