Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noise from an SM-465

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85burb4x4, Jan 22, 2007.

1. 85burb4x4

85burb4x4 Registered Member

Recently I finished converting my 1985 3/4 ton diesel burb over to an SM-465. I've put about 8500 miles on it and I've had nothing but problems with the clutch ever since I got it on the road. It's been little things like the clutch linkage not lining up right with the clutch fork, stripped out clutch adjustment rod, noisy throwout bearing, clutch fork getting wedged up and not moving, and now something is wrong with the pressure plate because it is really hard to move the pedal and I can't get full pedal travel when I was able to before. The transmission and linkage came from an 82 Blazer. So I've decided to convert over to a hydraulic clutch and install a new clutch when I have it all apart. Now, to add insult to injury, there is a bad noise coming from the tranny and/or transfer case. It sounds like a bad bearing, and it is really noticeable around 55-60 mph. At first I thought it might be the input bearings on my NP-208 transfer case. But now I'm not so sure because if I move the shifter on the tranny to the left or right and put a little pressure on it the noise isn't so loud. Could that be something worn out on the shift forks. Right now I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect before I take it apart. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

I have the same problem with my Tcase. Sounds like the thing is about to fall off sometimes. I replaced the oil with Lucas oil (I didnt just use it as addative like most folks, I filled the whole thing up) and havent had as much noise. When it start grinding, find a parking lot or the side of the road and shift the lever between 4hi and neutral afew times. Maybe it is the shift forks and I need to replace mine as well, but this is what I have found to reduce the frequency of issues.

3. 85burb4x4

85burb4x4 Registered Member

When I first got the transfer case I had to pull it apart (auto-hubs were locking and causing all kinds of grief then) and when I filled it I used a quart of Hiltons Hyper Lube. Everything in the case looked good, the pads on the shift forks were good, and the gears looked good. The transmission even has fresh oil with 2qts of the lucas additive. When I go to work on them both of them are getting the Lucas additives.