Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

noise from driveline/rearend when put in gear???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by emoo99, Apr 10, 2003.

1. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

when my truck is in idle and i shift to reverse then to drive then to reverse, each time there's a wierd *tink* or *clunk*, i did a search on this but the only think i could find was info on the driveline to the t-case, this sound is from the rear end, like the u-joins or inside the rearend.. i noticed it first yesturday, it was parked and shut off and i got in my truck and it kinda moved when i got in it and it made a clunk noise.. i got out and kinda pushed my truck back and forth when it was in park and it went *clunk* clunk* each time i pushed it forward a little?? anyone know what it could be and how to fix it? and my truck wasn't even on when i was doin this /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

The easiest way to check is to wait for a nice day (I live in Seattle too, nice days are hard to come by) park the truck on a nice, level surface and block the tires to keep the truck from rolling.

Put the transmission in N, crawl under the truck and grab the driveshaft. As you twist the driveshaft in both directions, listen for the clunking sounds paying close attention to your u-joints and slip-joint. Those are the usual culprits.

3. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

yea in seattle it may take a couple more months for that sun to come out.. thanks i'll try that,, a friend of mine's parting out his 89. i'm goin to snatch his t-case and driveshaft, and a few 3:73 axles from him.. just in case /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

hey this just happend to me, it was making the same sound. when i would shift gears or come to a stop it would clunk. i replaced the rear u-joint and packed the driveshaft full of grease!!
    it works!

5. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Same with me, for the cost and ease to install. Try the U-Joint first. Fixed me right up.