Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noise from front end. What is it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76chevy, Aug 1, 2001.

1. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I have a wierd noise from the front and I can't figure it out. I can't really describe the sound but it is kind of like a bird chirp and wooshing sound in one.

It doesn't make the sound all the time, just some of the time. It mostly makes the sound when pressing on the gas but the sound also happens sometimes when not pushing on the gas and it happens in about 3 second intervals.

It only makes the sound when moving. If I rev the engine when still it does not happen, so it might be drive train related.

I don't think it's the front bearings because it still makes the sound when I lightly apply the brakes.

Any Ideas? Thanks.

P.S. my fan clutch seems to be wearing out. It is a little hard to turn and the washer that covers the bearings has popped out. I don't think that is the noise because it would probably be a constant noise. Right?

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

does it go womp womp womp reeer reeer dunk dunk neeener neeener wada wada wada? sorry couldn't help it. i'm not much help.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, fan clutch is not necessarily constant, it's temperature dependent. You can actually hear my fan engage tighter and looser by the louder, then softer, whoosh of air. But I think you'd hear that while stopped and engine running. Maybe they're two different sounds unrelated. does the sound change with your road speed or always constant while moving, but not related to speed? I'm also thinking AC compressor clutch and failing low pressure switch. I just recently read a TSB about my '88's AC compressor that would cause the switch to make the clutch cycle on and off rapidly.
    Is it happening with AC on? For your case, I'm thinking maybe the system is low on refrigerant, and the compressor is beginning to sieze when engaged, causing the clutch to slip and squeek. But then, you'd hear that while stopped also. Just for kicks, see if you can turn the AC clutch by hand with engine off.

Also, maybe the brake wear indicator starting to squeak?

Hey just a thought, are all your belts tight?

Ratch
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com&gt;k5.8m.com&lt;/a&gt;
    **I need a house. Friggin realtor went and sold mine.**<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 08/01/01 01:23 PM.</FONT></P>

4. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

I would just about bet it's you fan clutch, what you described is exactley what mine did when it went out!!!
    I thought the engine was about grenade!!!

" Wider IS Better!!!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco>www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco</a>

5. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

You guys could be right on with the fan clutch. I replaced my water pump a while ago but don't remember replacing the fan clutch.

The AC is disconnected (no belt and no power) because the clutch is bad in that so it isn't that.

When I get time, I'll take the fan off to see if it still does it and if it quits I'll get a new fan clutch.

Thanks for the help.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

6. cdoggwsu

cdoggwsu 1/2 ton status

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that TSB would you? I'm having that exact same problem. Did you fix it by replacing the LP switch?