Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noise in front axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cornfield creations, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Ever since I got this truck it has made a noise in 4wd. We eliminated the driveshaft, not that. Not the hubs, brand new. Pretty sure its not the transfer, sounds too far forward, but is on the right side for sure. Has anyone ever seen worn inner shafts on the passenger side on a dana 44? That is my thinking. I am working up to pulling to axle. Since it's all snowy 4wd is needed more now, its on a DD so it doesn't see 4wd much.

2. black'burb

black'burb 1/2 ton status

Interesting, my 91 3/4 burb is doing the same thing. Just replaced all the u joints, hubs, and moved the crossover pipe up out of the way. Still get the grinding noise coming from the front like yours when accelerating in 4wd.
    Anybody out there have a suggestion?????

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Did you replace the needle bearing in the spindles? Very common for these to make noise, when I first bought my truck, they were bone dry.
    There is a caged set of needle bearings that go in there and hold the outer axle shaft in place. Alot of people over look them.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

5. black'burb

Nope, didn't check those. Just took the broke auto hubs out and put the new warn manuals in. I take it you have to take the hub back out and loosen the spindle nut to check those needle bearings?? Would that make it start clunking and sound like something isn't catching when in 4wd under some bit of torque on take off??

Chris

6. 1986chevy_rider

1986chevy_rider Registered Member

ive got the same question

Does anyone else have this same problem

7. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

Just reach in and try to shake the joint/axle around. If its got a lot of play right at the back of the spindle then your needle bearings are probably bad.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

To change those bearings out you have to remove the spindle from the knuckle. The go in from the backside of the spindle flange.

Ira

9. black'burb

Thanx, I'll check that....

10. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had a noice coming out of my front end, started off only doing it under power and got worse the longer I let it go, I could ave swornit was a stripped hub, turned out to be the slip yoke on my front driveshaft was stripped, I didn't find it until I took the driveshaft out and pulled it apart.

11. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

Yes, My suburban have the same problem. A clunking and grinding noice only when accelerating and braking in 4wd. Can't find out what it is either:crazy:

12. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Well I tore into it...again... I had replaced those needle bearings already, so I know its not that. I pulled the dif. cover off because two bolts were broken off and I wanted them out. Well when I pulled it off the fluid came out glittery. MMMMM how nice.. Anyways, we checked it out, looked at every single gear, in that dif. looked at the bearings and I have no idea. Maybe the bearings? They all sound good though. This really agitates me. 4 wheel drive works, its jsut that popping noise that is sooo bad it shakes the whole truck. I guess when it comes time to use it, I'll just keep her to the floor and if something breaks I guess I have to fix it. I've run out of ideas on what it could be.

If anyone has any other guesses please let us know. Thanks in advance!

13. 1986chevy_rider

1986chevy_rider Registered Member

well I think that I'm gonna check my slip yoke for ground down splines. i think that might be what it is i mean that ive got a six inch lift with stock front drive line. and its kind of out of the slip yoke. but enough to stay in ya know. but im gonna check that and get an extension for the front drive lane also and i know its not my neddle berrings. any help would be great

14. black'burb

Well, just replaced all pass. side bearings and inner shaft u joint, still have grinding/clunking.:confused: Seems like the next thing to look at would be the d/shaft slip yoke. Saw in another thread that the nut on the front drive flange could become loose and screw things up on tcase output shaft. Hope to find problem before it leads to that...

15. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

confirm the noise is eminating from both sides????
    and confirm the snap rings are in the grooves inside the hubs and havent moved?