Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noise in hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Texas84K5, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Texas84K5

Texas84K5 Registered Member

I am hearing noise in my hubs (auto locking) when in 4X4. Can I rebuild the hub or do I have to change out significant parts?

2. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

just get some manual locking hubs, such as warn, superwinch, or mile marker and be done with it!

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Get some Warn premium hubs for $80 and never look back.

4. Texas84K5

Which are best and are they difficult to install? I don't mind the idea of having to lock in the hubs... are they a sure fire solution? I tend to over analyze everything and want to make sure that I fix the problem.

5. BigBri

BigBri Registered Member

Manual locking hubs are definately the answer, If I was you I would get some mile markers(I think there around 80 bucks). as for installing them, it's not very difficult just a few torx screws on the outside cover and a big snap ring, and there off! ( it's easier to do with the wheel off) If youve ever done a brake job on your K5 you would of had to remove the hubs to pull the rotors.

6. BigBri

BigBri Registered Member

I almost forgot ! before you spend any money on hubs, make sure that the noise isn't something else like the u-joints between the end of the axle housing and the brake backing plate, if those are worn out, you'd get a pretty gnarly noise from them as well

7. Texas84K5

would I hear a u-joint noise only in 4X4?

8. BigBri

BigBri Registered Member

yes, because that is the only time that your front axle is turning

9. Texas84K5

Thank you for the input BigBri. Sounds like I need to check my u-joints for wear. How do I best test the u-joint (jack it and spin tire by hand with transfer case engaged?)? I would rather keep my auto-lockers (I'd rather drive through mud then get out in it). This truck is my get-to-the-ranch and drive-around-the-ranch vehicle as well as tow the boat vehicle. I will only put it into 4X4 when I encounter an obsticle that looks like I will need it or when my tires spin pulling the boat out. Should I be concerned about locking the hubs and driving a couple of miles before I ever engage the transfer case? In my tahoe I push a button.

10. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

It's not going to hurt anything to lock your hubs in before you leave the house. I generally leave mine locked all winter so its there when you need it. It could be argued that having them locked keeps the front axle lubricated. The drawback is that the front ujoints wear faster, but they're cheap enough to be worth the hassle. I'ld ditch the auto hubs.

tom

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I personally prefer Warn Premiums. The best way to check the Ujoints is to pull the axleshafts. Short of that, visually inspect them, rotate them by hand, or engage four wheel drive...jack up one tire at a time....check for slop. While you are in there, check your wheel bearings out.