Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noise in stereo with AC on

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Hobbes9112, May 8, 2005.

1. Hobbes9112

Hobbes9112 Registered Member

Hi All-

I recently bought an 85 Jimmy and I added an FM modulated CD changer in my console. The radio kept blowing fuses everytime I shifted into overdrive (even before I added the CD changer). I couldn't figure out why, so I wired the radio/CD changer into accessory slots on the fuse box and added in line fuses. The stereo works fine, and it doesn't blow fuses anymore. Everytime I turn on the AC while the CD changer is on, there is a high pitched whine. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you have a grounding issue. Check to make sure all your grounds are to bare metal and not over paint. The whining sound is your alternator. Good luck...

3. Hobbes9112

Hobbes9112 Registered Member

It just seems strange to me that it only happens when the cd changer and AC are on at the same time. AC and radio... no problem. CD changer no AC... no problem. I will double check the grounds, but I would think that if the ground was bad I would have a constant problem. Gotta love electrical problems! :rolleyes:

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Might try turning your heater on to see if you also have the noise. If you do have the noise have with the heater, check the blower motor.