Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noise in the Gas Tank...Why?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nate87k5, Aug 29, 2000.

1. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

I am hearing something bang up against the inner walls of my gas tank when I stop or pushing the truck back and forth while it is parked. Not sure what it is. Also my gas gauge no longer works and I dont know if these would be related. I need to know what it is and how to fix it. Thanks for any help given.

2. OhioJimmy

OhioJimmy Registered Member

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but that tells me its your float, its broke, fell apart, is loose somehow. I've never had mine out but would assume you will have to pull the tank to fix it. Hope this help a little

When the mud gets deep and the hills get steep we'll find out who bought the parts that were cheap.

3. JF 89K5

JF 89K5 Registered Member

Mine does the same damn thing, and my gas gauge has also been screwy, sometimes it works and sometimes it gets stuck at full. I have also thought it was possibly the float, but since dropping the tank is a pain in the a$$ I will just watch my milage after I fill up. Sorry, I guess that didn't help much. Good luck

JF

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yep, sounds like something broke loose in the tank. Someone else had this idea, but I'm gonna steal it, and maybe you should too: Cut a hole in your bed floor above the tank, where all the lines go in. Now you can get to the important stuff without dropping the tank! Use a larger piece of floor to seal the hole when you don't need access. For us with fuel injection, this could save the day on the trail if your fuel pump dies.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

5. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

Sounds like what happened to me! My tank had a plastic baffle that kept the gas at the fuel pump. I bottomed out the rear of my blazer(before the lift of course) and it knocked the baffle loose. Little while after that my fuel guage quit working b/c it knocked the float off and tore the sending unit all up. All i did was clean the tank out and install a new sending unit. Hope this helps.

http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

And the winner is...K5Junkie...round of applause please! Late model FI fuel tanks have baffles in them to keep fuel on the pump at all times as that is what cools the pump....you will have to buy a new fuel tank before the baffle destroys your pump/float assmembly...which is the end result if left alone. When i worked as an automotive tech i saw several this way...sometimes they knock the pump right off the assmembly! I think a GM tank is around $250 but don't quote me.

AZBlazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

7. 87JIMMY

87JIMMY Registered Member

Fix it soon!!!!!! I paid $160 for my tank, but my sending unit was so rusted, that I had to cut it out. I hope you're sitting down. The sending unit for the '87 is $380. I'd hate to see you screw up your sending unit to save $160. Maybe someone here knows if you can sub. in a different year unit, too late for me though.
    Good Luck and Happy Wheeling

Scott 87JIMMY

8. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

i ordered two different tanks, one from GM and one aftermarket, and niether of them had the built in baffle. So i sent them both back and clean my old tank out and used it. It has been like that for about a year now. I have had no problems with it yet.

As for the new sending unit, make some friends down at the local Chevy parts place and get their discount. i think i paid about $150 for a new sending unit that will cost about $380 normal price!

Oh yeah, AZBLAZER, what do i win for getting the right answer.[​IMG]

http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/