Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noise in transfer case?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by clintsk5, Sep 12, 2000.

1. clintsk5

clintsk5 1/2 ton status

Ok.....The guy who bought my old blazer ran the tranny down on fluid and blew that bad boy up!...Well he had the tranny rebuilt and had the part time kit (I gave him,I'm such a nice guy!) put in at the same time....Now ...when traveling down the road...theres ...kinda a grinding ...?...metal slipping noise ?...coming from the tranny or transfer when driving at 35 mph and above!! the tranny guy says the chain is lose in the transfer case and when puting on the part time kit took off the tension from the chain!!!I thought when the truck is in 2 high the transfer case wasn't doing anything...Does this sound right??...oh ya ....turbo 350 ....203...35 inch tires...( my old Baja Claws....sob!!)

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Dumb question, but...

Is there fluid in the case (whatever variety it's supposed to have)?

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

When installing a part-time kit in an 203 you don't even mess with the chain. If lock out hubs wern't installed everything would still move in 2 hi. The font end would just not receive any power. Sounds like the part time kit was installed wrong. There is a thrust washer that must be used before putting the planetary housing back on you may be getting a grinding noise from this. Installed one about 3 years ago, so please feel free to correct me if wrong.

4. clintsk5

clintsk5 1/2 ton status

Yes, hubs (superwinch) were installed too ....that's what I think....They put the part time kit in wrong...anyone else have an idea?