Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noise is back in front 60- Please help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by koldsimer, Apr 3, 2006.

1. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The noise that I thought I had fixed is back. It is a strange grinding noise from the front end. It's extremely difficult to find where it is coming from but I know it's in the 60 somewhere (I pulled the driveshaft and it made it). It only happens when the front diff is spinning. I put it on stands and spun the front end and it was there, but much less noticeable/loud. It's also almost constant in that it happens with every revolution of the tire. (RIng gear looks perfect) It can be put in 4wd at the case with the hubs locked or unlocked and it makes the noise. With the case in 2wd and the hubs locked, it makes the noise. Here's a run down of what I have looked at- replaced all front seals and bearings including spindle bearings. Everything has been greased and everything looks or is new! I have pulled the carrier and axleshafts twice now trying to find any signs of what it could be. No unusual wear marks on anything. Nothing seems to be binding or catching on anything. I've found nothing. Somebody please tell me where the "hidden" bearing or zerk fitting is. I'm near the point of just going out and ragging on it till that noise makes itself obvious.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Is one of the dust shields rubbing the rotor?

3. koldsimer

Dust shield are gone... good suggestion though.

4. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

well if there are no shavings and everything looks good, Im thinking its a detroit and if its not then run it till it breaks....then you will find out what it is.

5. koldsimer

After two months of frustration, it's fixed! A guy on another site had the same problem. Turns out the yukons are slightly different in several ways.... what caused my noise was the fact that there was nothing pulling against the stubs clip, it was allowing the axleshafts to walk side to side slightly-enough to make the yoke from the inner shaft grind on the end of the axle tube. I never thought this was much of a problem. Even looking at it now, there was almost zero indication that these parts were touching. I'm gonna fab up some spacers so that I can use my lockouts also. Hope this helps out anybody else that encounters this problem.

6. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Lets Go Wheelin!! :d

7. koldsimer

Heck yeah! Guess where those sparks were coming from the other night?

8. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

That would make alot of sense now. If i recall right it only shot the sparks when you turned slightly also. Hmmm

9. koldsimer

That would have been the axle walking side to side I guess.