Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noise normal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Feb 23, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

So i'm at the beach right, i pull some guys out, got my hubs locked and im dirving in 2 wd and its louder than usually... by alot... i dont know what it is, thinking it might be my hubs so i unlock them... whola gone? It sounds just like road noise but loud... when im going like 25-35

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 6"susp, 35" BFG Muds, CatCo Cat & Series 40 delta flow 3" tips.

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

in 2wd with hubs locked? could be spider gears are making lotso noise. i would pull the dif cover and chevk them, pluss theck the grease in your hubs.
    Grant

take me drunk, i am home
    www.geocities.com/seventy4blazer/parts4sale.html

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am not sure about the trouble you are having, but i have a factory manual on the later blazer and it says DO NOT drive with the hubs locked and in 2wd Damage can occur. It also says DO NOT drive in 4wd without the hubs locked Damage can occur.

1989 blazer, 383 stroker, D44 / 14FF, 4.56, locked, 35 BFG mud
    Scott

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

That sound you hear is the whole frint drivetrain spinning. I notice a difference when my hubs are locked and I go by a building or something that'll reflect the sound back to me. As for damage occuring due to locked hubs. If you drive on dry pavement and have the wheel cut all the way and just do circles for a long time, I can see damage happening. But I'll drive with my hubs locked on the road all the time because it'll snow one day, then the roads will clear the next and I'm lazy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you leave the hubs locked for a day or so at a time, no big deal, but if you were to lock your hubs and never unlock them again, excessive wear and possible damage will occure.
    Ben 87 jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>