Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noise Question for you?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by larryboz, Dec 21, 2002.

1. larryboz

larryboz Registered Member

I have decided to park the 77 blazer and rebuild it all. So I needed a winter vehicle to drive other than my Z28 so I bought an 84 K10 shortbed. well I have had it about 3 weeks runs real strong but now I am getting a noise out of the drivers side front wheel. It is kind of a howling when I am not on the gas just coasting and turning a corner. Hard to tell if it is making the same noise under acceleration headers make it hard to here. I first thought I was in 4 wheel drive but I am not. What do you think something in the axle or wheel bearings? I lifted the truck off the ground did not have a lot of time to check but shook the wheel and no movement side to side and no movement wheel is tight, front end is tight. I will probably replace rotors, pads and wheel bearings but just wondered what you guys thought. Front pads are getting low anyway.

Larry

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Might be a bearing. I had a bad one that seemed fine when I jacked up the truck. It went out a few days later on me.

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

do you have auto-locking hubs, might be one that is hung up in the locked position, a wheel bearing would also be a good culprit, good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

When I first got my K5, there were several things make noise. I fixed em, and she's all quiet now. I replaced my wheel bearings after getting in there and finding some pitting on the rollers. Also, I had fairly worn brake pads and when I was turning, but not on the brakes, the wear indicator on the pads would rub ever so slightly and would make some noise. I don't know what type of wheels you have but, when I bought the truck it had the original 15x7 wheels on it with the original beauty rings snapped on to them. Those were making some noise as the wheel spun, so they're off now too.

5. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i would check wheel bearings. Repack them atleast, if not replace them.
    It could also maybe be the brakes, when they wear they can do some wierd things.

6. larryboz

larryboz Registered Member

thanks for all the responses I am going to tear into it Thursday or Friday and try to find the noise. I am going to go ahead and replace the rotors and pads they are worn down so I am going to go ahead and change them and check the bearings and replace them also just for piece of mind. Again thanks, I will keep you posted

Larry