Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

noise reduction

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GMMANIAC, May 5, 2002.

1. GMMANIAC

GMMANIAC Registered Member

I was wondering if anyone has insulated the side panels on their K5. I'm getting alot tire noise from my BFG M/Ts, and I was wanting to quiet down the inside.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've used Dynomat for sterio apps. Dynomat is very good at getting rid of road noise. I like the stuff alot. Use the heavy duty.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

HUH? WHATD YA SAY?! SPEAK UP! HEHE!

Just Kiddin! I dont see where it couldnt be done if there is access to stuff insulation in there. (I havent taken my interior panels out yet.) I was going to do the same thing to my last rig w/ pink insulation that comes in strips w/ no backing paper. Never did get to it. It comes in a plastic bag in like 4 foot strips. I was going to ram as much in the sides as I could.

One thing I noticed a few yrs ago is that my brothers 4 Runner was a bunch louder inside (than my Cherokee w/ no interior, carpet or anything inside. Just sheet metal, a dash and 2 seats.) w/ 31 Thornbirds on his rig w/ no lift. The tires were in the wheel wells, where my 40 Mudders were outside the fenderwells. Maybe its a good excuse to lift more. LOL!

4. Pure Insanity

Louder stereo. Just kiddin again. Actually I have another Idea.

You could try an under coating of some kind that dries when set up. You could spray on some heavy coats to drown out some noise. Make sure you get the type that dries out and wont melt when it gets hot. (truck sitting in the sun) Otherwise youll just have a puddle of it at the bottom of the quarters.

5. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

If you do any of this please update on how it worked. I'm thinking of the same thing.

6. Pure Insanity

I wont be doing any of it. I love the sound of large mud tires and thumping exhaust. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I thot about it on my last truck but I was planning to make a show truck out of it. Then ripped everything out that wasnt ness. for weight loss. Got a F/S Jeep Cherokee on 40s down to 4000 lbs. Pretty lite weight for a rig that big. (In size and height)

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I bought a couple of the El Cheapo camping pads from Walmart. They're about 24 inches wide, by 6 feet long and about 1/2-inch thick. They're made of closed-cell foam so they won't absorb water and the great thing is that they only cost about $6 each. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Just glue 'em to the wall and put the panels back in place. It also helps to carpet over the wheel wells.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

My side panels have pink fiberglass insulation inside them. I have had them open a couple times since and haven't seen any signs of water, but look out if you have rust. Underneath my new carpet/pad is the old pad and black tar stuff. Same for the wheelwells. The tailgate is lined with Dynamat and covered in carpet. The inside of the dash is lined with Dynamat and the inside of the door panels is filled with fiberglass. I can still hear my ProComps and a little exhaust sound, but the biggest noise now is just wind and that with all good seals. These things just arent' very aerodynamic.

9. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

I've already done the Dynamat thing and it worked out great. You can see some links to what was done on my web site there is a thread in the audio section. Basically I Dynamated from the rear seat up to the firewall and I ran pieces done the entire length of the walls in the rear and over the tire well’s then I also used ¾ inch heat reflective pad on top of the Dynamat. Finally on the floors I installed 1 inch thick padding material.
    Final result is that when I’m inside the truck you cannot really hear the noise outside and when I turn my stereo up you can barely hear anything over my exhaust outside. It was just what I was going for.

10. GMMANIAC

Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought about trying the pink stuff, but the dynomat seems like a better idea. One guy said I should try that expandable spray foam but with my luck I would end up blowing my panels off.

11. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I'm getting tired of the wind and whistles. It needs new seals everywhere on the dang thing.That's my biggest issue with road noise. I agree, the sound of big meats and loud exhaust are very appealing to me also./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. Pure Insanity

If you try the expanding foam, which I REALLY hope you dont, be careful. I have seen that stuff make a mess out of sheetmetal. I guy I worked with shaved the gate on his cousins S10, and thot it would be a good Idea to spray the foam in to stabilize the panel he welded in. Well it blew the panel out BAD! When he got it under control and fixed the damage it was sweet. As time went by the foam continued to grow and trashed the gate AGAIN! Stay away from it.

13. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine works at Zebart. I just had him undercoat my truck. the stuff does harden, but not rock hard like Line-X or similar. However, it is not the nasty greasy stuff OEM uses that rubs off when ever you work on your truck. I noticed a slight decrease in interior noise. The belly of the truck also looks very nice now that it is all black /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I also covered over my exixting side panels with gray carpet which could reduce noise too.

14. GMMANIAC

I thought the foam thing was alittle rediculous when I first heard it. A guy that has a shop next to mine says he uses it to get rid of squeaks and rattles.

15. Pure Insanity

In body shops we have to use it. But we have a different type. We dont just hop down to Home Depot and buy a few cans. There is structural and non structural. The structural is hard like the expanding foam most people know of, but harder and more dense, it goes in the pillars and posts. (we dont put it in unless it was there OEM) The non structural, is more of a softer than a sponge, spongy material. Its for deadening panels, (rattles and such) and doesnt distort panels like the structural can and will. I guess I overreact when I hear someone say there gonna use spray foam. I just picture them walking outta Lowes w/ a bag of cans, and lettin em loose in their panels and trashing their ride. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

16. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

let me knwo if youdecidedtoworkwith the dynamat amteriali cangive you a link to a good price for it.

17. GMMANIAC

Dynamat seems like the way to go, I'd appreciate any help locating this stuff at a resonable price. THANX

18. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

You need something much denser than "pink stuff"...that's for heat/cold insulation not noise. For a fraction of the Dynamat stuff go to a wrecking yard and pull out some good insulation out of anything big and late model...Licolon, Caddy, Buick etc. They'll usually nearly give it away and it works great.....just like it was designed that way.

19. Pure Insanity

I never tried the pink stuff, Had it but never put it in, but if you pack it in tight enuff it would help I think.

20. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I am spraying in the liner. I also am making custom side panels for the inside out of 1/8" thick steel so I can mount my amps, speakers, and crossovers to the backside of them and keep them hidden. They will be sprayed as well. That stuff makes a huge difference in the noise level. Also, a head liner helps immensely. The fiberglass tops amplify the road noise and vibrations.