Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noise Under Truck/ Vibration What can i do to help?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sarazk5, Mar 22, 2002.

1. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Well i found out what my noise was on my way home today! I dropped my rear driveshaft. The front Ujoint was bad on it. I believe it is due to my driveline angle. I picked some 2 1/2 degree shims for my blocks hopefully that will help.. And I'm going to have to get a CV shaft. My slip yoke shot off the truck about 30 feet. I got half way pulled into a gas station.. and rear end sticking in traffic.. some little old lady with one eye was all that thing flew off your truck!! and was pointing at my slipyoke. I couldn't believe this... I then had to wait cause i can't push the heavy beast...Every bastard in the world was honking at me and cussing me out. I almost saw 2 people rearend me. CHP came and sat with me while i waited for the Tow Truck.. TONS of Fun!! Double check your U-joints!

Does anyone have any other recomendations? I only have a 4" suspension lift. Running 35's. The Ujoint that went bad was only a few months old. I don't have 700.00 for a high angle driveline set up... Can you help me with my options or cheaper solutions?

Thanks... Sara

2. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

when did you do the lift?
    i would think if you shimmed the axle, and put in some good u-joints you should be OK. lots of people go 4" with out a cv shaft.

3. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

We did the lift last year. But i didn't have the wedges for the blocks. I picked some up yesterday... 2.5 degree. But do you think they will help on the front ujoint? I thought they would just help the rear one. I need to go get a new slip yoke today I guess. Hopefully that will work. B/f seems to think i need a different type of yoke. Or a CV shaft.

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

you can get a c/v shaft for $240 from Dicks driveline: 1-602-244-8115. That is with 1310 u joints which are only 1/2 ton but you can get it with 1350 1 tons for a price! Check it out at mountaindriveline.com

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Have you dropped the T-case..Dan

6. kacksterk5

kacksterk5 Registered Member

Shims will help a lot but dropping the t-case solved my problems with a 6 inch. I have 5 degree shims in mine also.

7. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I don't think the Tcase is dropped. I don't even know how you would do that. I only have a 4" lift so i dont know why my angle is bad. We ended up having to buy a new slip yoke and the part that connects to the transfercase.. forget what that one is called. Everything was very eaten up. Luckily there was one driveline shop open in Sacramento today. I got both shafts and dana spicer ujoints for 129.00. One junk yard wanted to charge me 100.00 just for a used slip yoke. I am going to drive the truck to the driveline shop this week and have them check out my angle. Problem with shimming it, is we think it is going to shim the wrong way. Driveline shop said we may actually need to flip my blocks backwards to get the correct angle. If all else fails the shop will build me a new driveshaft and sell me a CV for 300.00 total. I shouldn't have a problem with my current set up as long as we can get the angle right though, according to the shop. He said i just need to make sure the angle degree is the same at both ends. I'll let you know what happens. I know that after b/f finished putting it together, it felt great to drive it without my steering wheel putting my hand to sleep! The whole thing today ended up costing me 200.00 cause i needed other little bolts and I had to buy a complete socket set to get a 1 5/16 that would fit in the yoke! Oh, plus 25.00 for the tow last night. Well at least I don't have a 500.00 Truck payment.